Pakistan May Have 70,000 People with Thalassemia

• 12 Replies

Offline Dori

« on: January 26, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »
January 26, 2009 - According to a recent news article, there may be more than 70,000 people with thalassemia in Pakistan.

An article published today in the "International News" quotes Al-Mustafa Thalassemia Unit Project Director Munaf Aliana as estimating the country's thalassemia population at more than 70,000, with 6,000 children with thalassemia born annually.

It is a very small message. Maybe there was a better topic to publish this?

A few years ago I heard how many thals there may be in Iran. I startled so badly that I forgot it over the years. Has someone an idea how much thals Iran may have?

Dore

Source: http://www.cooleysanemia.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:pakistan-may-have-70000-people-with-thalassemia&catid=1:latest-news

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Re: Pakistan May Have 70,000 People with Thalassemia
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:55:42 PM »
it is something for that everyone has to worry about ... thats why, i stress more on awareness than the anything else ...

Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »
6% of Pakistan's population carry thalassemia trait. 3% of Indians carry the trait (that's 40 million carriers). It is estimated that 8-10,000 majors are born in India every year and over 80% get no care. I imagine most in Pakistan, Thailand and Indonesia also get no care. It's a harsh world and we have a lot of work to do to make it a fair one.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Kathy11

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:44:21 PM »
It is estimated that 8-10,000 majors are born in India every year and over 80% get no care. I imagine most in Pakistan, Thailand and Indonesia also get no care.

This is very sad to me ,when I think of how much money is spent  on the defence force to create wars,
Why dont the responsible   government body intervene ??? ??? ???

This is where groups like us can bring forward awareness of the above issues and the unfairness of it all

We need to try.
Kathy

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:38:33 AM »
I don't know the statistics,but yes that must be true,there are many small organizations who are trying to give treatment to these kids,but i don't know about any major or even small foundation who is trying to spread awareness to prevent it in the first place.
Especially rural areas need awareness very badly,at our hospital i have seen a lady who comes from Badeen,which is in Interior Sindh,with four thalassemic kids,God knows how she manages it every three weeks.

While in urban areas people need to be educated about living with thalassemia,they need to know that it's not a curse,that your child can live a fairly normal life if you get the right treatment.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:06:03 AM »
How sad  :(  I wish there were a way to reach these families and improve their quality of life. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2440.0;highlight=organi
all brother and sisters. thanks to umair who convinced me to choose "awarness" area to work for thalas.

I want to initiate a project from platform of "WECARE CHARITY TRUST" for awarness of thalas amaong young generation.

!st step of this project could be to choose a university in islamababad and start thalas compeign over there. It is first time and would be difficult to arrange.

its bcoze of Lack of awareness , and that's the reason why i adviced to mianwaseem to choose the awareness for work ...  in this thread .....
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2417.msg21535#msg21535

Take care
Umair
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 03:27:20 PM »
That is great to hear Umair  :thumbsup

Good work my friend,

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »
 :thankyou2 Sharmin :grin

Umair

===========
Umair

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 02:11:28 AM »
In Egypt, it was estimated that at least 10% ofthe populations are carriers ( in the year 1998 ) and in spite of this you will hardly find anyone knows what thal means!!!!!!!!!!!!!

manal

Offline Dori

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
I thought I read at wiki that Pakistan has a population of 172 million, so 70.000 might not be too high. But, everyone with this type of disease is one too much.

Wow, that are a lot of people. It is very frustrated that people do not know about it.

Once there came a twin (refugees) with thal in a medical program. That dumb doctor said (sitting on their bed!!!): Yes, they receive every month two bags of blood. They will die before their twenties because of the iron.  ??? Lots of people of the thal foundation saw it. They wrote letters and post comment by the internet link, but no reaction.  :mad

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 08:12:10 AM »
Once there came a twin (refugees) with thal in a medical program. That dumb doctor said (sitting on their bed!!!): Yes, they receive every month two bags of blood. They will die before their twenties because of the iron.   Lots of people of the thal foundation saw it. They wrote letters and post comment by the internet link, but no reaction. 

That's disgusting,people need to change this attitude,that's why we need to spread awareness.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »
thanx God its 70,000 not 172 million .... its the first good news hah ..... hey where is that doctor who is a doctor cum foreteller as well ... did any buddy hear from him...  haha digusting ...

Umair

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk