Continuous Nausea and Vomiting

• 42 Replies
Continuous Nausea and Vomiting
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »
Hi all,

Not sure if this is related to Exjade or something else. My daughter has been experiencing severe cases of nausea and vomiting since November 2008. As you all know she was admitted in hospital for five days in November due to de-hydration caused by vomiting. Since then she gets this nausea and vomiting attacks every now and then. Her blood results are fine, x-rays shows no signs of stomach problems. Doctors have no idea why she gets these.

Initially we thought it was exjade causing this, but we were told by doctors that exjade has only nausea and vomiting for first few months and this does not look like exjade problem, since she is on it for one year. She does not eat or drink when she gets these attacks (usually for two days), anything we give her she vomits. She has lost almost 4 lbs since November. Its roughly two or three times a month she gets these attacks.

We do give her Gravol for Nausea, but the problem is she does not eat anything.

It would be helpful is you can guess what it might be........

My wife just raised a possibility that this may be due to the flu shot she had in November, my wife is a "Echocardiographer" and she had discussed this situation in the clinic she works. Now the explanation she was given that sometimes the flu shot can cause long episodes of flu symptoms for months until the body immune itself from flu. We had give my daughter, one flu shot in November but never had a chance to give her the booster shot.

Ideas......

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:49:35 PM by Canadian_Family »
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Continuous Nausea and Vomiting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 10:51:23 PM »
I have emailed a woman I know who recently stopped Exjade and began Ferriprox because of nausea problems. I will let you know what she has to say from her experience once she replies.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 10:55:03 PM »
Thanks Andy, waiting for the reply....
Regards.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 12:01:57 AM »
Canadian family, make sure that there are no gall stones too

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 03:16:46 AM »
Hi Canadian Family,

I am sorry to hear about our princess's situation,i don't know if this nausea is exjade related,but i want to share a home remedy which we use for nausea and vomiting,if she can take it.
We boil a spoon of Cumin seeds and a spoon of sugar in a glass of water,and give to the patient a couple of spoons every 2 to 3 hours.

Hope she'll like it,kids love it here.

Lots of kisses for our little princess  :hugfriend.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:20:56 AM »
Hi Canadian Family ,
i m sorry to hear about wat your daughter going through ,.
Canadian family, make sure that there are no gall stones too
manal
i 2nd wat Manal Said .... i dont know its related to the topic or not , but my doctor told me that there could be 1 of these 2 reasons of severe stomach aches and vomiting ...
1) Gallstones
2) Liver
she sent me for USG to check if there is any gallblader stone , but Thanx God there is no gallbladder stones ... soo i think you could investigate on both reasons ...
please check this article ...
http://www.essortment.com/all/gallstonessymp_rcrj.htm
May God bless her with best of the and fast recovery .....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 06:58:50 AM »
Canadian Family,

I am sorry to hear that your little one is still experiencing stomach related problems.  Stomach problems can persist for a long time.  Once aggravated, the stomach can continue to be easily irrated for a long time.  During the first few weeks this can be due to swollen glands in the abdomen and later it can be due to the change of flora in the digestive system.  After a stomach illness reflux and gag reflex may also cause indigestion and vomiting. 

Because your daughter had such severe stomach issues, her stomach may feel delicate for a prolonged period of time due to a combination of many factors.  Additionally, you have changed her diet and supplementation because to promote bone health - and her stomach will need to deal with these changes as well.   As Manal said, checking for gallstones may be a good idea as well. 

A few strategies that I would suggest are - small frequent meals (not allowing the stomach to be empty for more than 2 hours)  - but now allowing it to be too full either.  Eating probiotic yogurts and cheeses.  As per the docs in Oakland, Exjade can be broken into two doses to be taken twice on an empty stomach.  Frequent warm drinks can soothe the stomach and upper digestive system (reducing reflux).  Raising the head of the bed a few inches and avoiding food a couple of hours before bed will help a great deal too.  I also think that the fennel is a great idea (however the refined sugar we have in North America may further irritate the stomach so honey may work better).  Throughout the day you can offer her 1/2 cup of green tea, black tea and fennel water - this will also provide antixidant support. 

I hope that these ideas help,

Best of luck to the little princess,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Dori

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 07:42:51 AM »
I have had it too. I really believe that I did not had flu, but only side effects.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:52:18 PM by Dori »

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 04:11:59 PM »
I think that the others has given enough tips. When I was in that annoying period (6weeks) I dropped my own created dieat. So i did eat some red meat and lots of vit c.
I have no idea of it could be gallstones since my galbladder was removed in 1992.

I am sorry for this empty message,

Dore

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »
CF,

I am still waiting to hear back from my email, but I learned the person I emailed is going on a trip so it may be a delay in response.

Meanwhile, I would suggest either splitting the dose into two, morning and evening, or switching to evenings as Ambareen did. It did help her manage the nausea much better by taking it at night.
Andy

Offline baal

• to be or not to be
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
dear cf
in our hospital there is an lady
who told me the same like u.
she take exjade and have all the symptoms like ur liitlle.....

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »
i was told that splitting the dose in two does not alter efficacy and it may prevent stomach issues. 
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »
Little Z also takes exjade in evening.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »
Hello all,

Thank you all for your valuable input. We have started the exjade in the evening at around 5:00pm i.e. between the snack and dinner time (Thanks Andy). However, the idea to split the dose is fantastic and if the change in timing does not work than we will go for it.

Andy,

Thank you for the update. The idea of splitting the dose is great.

Zaini,

The cumin idea is great, we will implement it immediately if the condition persists...

Dore and Manal,

Thanks for your message and ideas.

Sharmin,

Great tip on frequent small meals. She does puts her hand on the lower abdomen on her urinary bladder and complain about tummy hurt. I don't think its gallstones as my wife knows about it in her field.

Nice friend,

We did thought about liver problems as well, but her blood results came fine just few days ago. We are quite certain its not gallstones as the tummy aches is nothing like it and its the wrong place for gallstones, but we can pass this to our doctors upon our next visit.

Well, the good news is that she has started eating again today (small frequent meals) and today is the first day we changed the timing of exjade dose.

Oh by the way, since we have nick name for all the children, lets call her little A.....
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 11:59:56 PM »
I think you would probably be seeing high bilirubin levels if it was gallstones. Considering her age, I think liver and gallbladder problems are unlikely.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk