Scientists Discover Novel Way to Remove Iron from Ferritin

• 12 Replies

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:57:20 AM »
Director, Media Relations
510-428-3069
vrobinson@mail.cho.org

Research Results featured in the Journal of Biological Chemistry

November 2, 2007 - Oakland, CA – A new study led by Children’s Hospital Oakland
Research Institute senior scientist, Elizabeth Theil, Ph.D., is the first to suggest that a
small protein or heptapeptide (seven amino acids wrapped into one unit) could be used to
accelerate the removal of iron from ferritin. The results of this study may help scientists
develop new medications that dramatically improve the removal of excess iron in patients
diagnosed with blood diseases such as β-Thalassemia (Cooley’s anemia) or Sickle Cell
Disease.

The study appears in this month’s issue of the Journal of Biological Chemistry and was
conducted by Dr. Theil and her co-authors Xiaofeng S. Liu, postdoctoral fellow at
Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Marvin J. Miller, Ph.D. and Leslie D.
Patterson, a predoctoral student, both from the University of Notre Dame. [bgcolor=#ffffff]The scientists
knew that the ferritin protein cage had pores that could open and close. It was also known
that chelators (a method to detoxify blood) removed iron faster when the pores were
open.[/bgcolor]
[bgcolor=#ffffff]“We wanted to prove a hypothesis that a small protein or peptide could bind to ferritin
and could be used to regulate ferritin pores,” said Dr. Theil. “Our hypothesis was correct.
We proved that when a binding heptapeptide, is coupled with Desferal® the rate of
removal of iron from ferritin is eight times faster.” Desferal® is currently used to
detoxify the blood of patients with iron overload and is a common therapeutic remedy.
Ferritin is a protein that concentrates iron in its inner core or “cage.” It plays a critical
role in understanding iron overload, which can lead to a variety of symptoms such as
chronic fatigue, weakness, joint pain and arthritis. If left untreated, iron overload can
lead to serious problems, including diabetes, liver and heart disease.
[/bgcolor]

The study’s results are based on laboratory tests. The National Institutes of Health
(NIH), the Cooley’s Anemia Foundation and Children’s Hospital & Research Center
Oakland provided funding for this research.

For more information on Dr. Theil’s research, please visit
http://www.chori.org/Principal_Investigators/Theil_Elizabeth_C/theil_overview.html.

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Scientists Discover Novel Way to Remove Iron from Ferritin
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:55:42 PM »
Almost all the new developments in research we have talked about recently will be topics at the NINTH COOLEY’S ANEMIA SYMPOSIUM
Oct 21- 24, 2009. Dr Thiel, Dr Wood,  Dr Vichinsky, Dr Sadelain...the list goes on and on. the schedule can be seen at
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2521.msg24645#msg24645

This conference has a schedule that rivals any international conference. I would recommend that people view this as they view the TIF conferences. In fact, because there is so much new research in so many areas, I fully expect this to be one of the best conferences ever...if not the best.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 03:01:30 PM »
This is great Umair.  I cannot wait to attend the conference in NY!

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »
 :wub That's great. I send my non-ill or different-ill friends sometimes an email how things going but I forgot always a piece of information. You know, the piece of information you don't think about it. It's like the fact that ferritin is a protein who hugs the iron. I think none of them will pass the exam if I ask 'what is ferritin' and that would be my mistake  :rotfl

:ty

Offline Dori

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »
Can you post the direct link to that article? In that way I would able to post at my own website, EN pk def website and IDI maillinglist  :grin Thank you in advance!

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »
Dore ,
i like to share official sources of article with every quotation , thats why i used to send that article with CHORI's link ...
here is the a link i think it would be answer of your question ... its another source of that article ..
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/87630.php

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:14:14 PM by nice friend »
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 08:15:37 PM »
Thank you :)

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:23:10 PM »
 Your :welcome :)

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 06:11:46 AM »
I am amazed at how much progress is being made in so many different approaches to treating thalassemia. This approach that makes desferal work 8 times faster is fascinating. Making chelation easier and less time consuming greatly improves compliance, which of course is the number one thing thals can do for themselves, but chelation becomes so burdensome and downright painful, that compliance is not what it should be. Like starch desferal, this would help make chelation much less a nuisance and interference with daily life.

When you start putting all the new research together, you see a bright future for those with blood disorders. I know a cure is on everyone's mind, but we will be seeing new treatments that really with make normal lives the norm for thals.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 06:19:12 AM »
Hopefully requiring less desferal will reduce the side effects of desferal - while it encourages compliance and improves quality of life.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 08:04:40 AM »
it will be more good when you need to have Desferal only once in a week with 8 times more effective than today's Desferal therapy .. it would be a cheezy offer for thals :PIZZA ... Great Advance towards the good and easy treatments and giving a chance to thals to live a healthy normal life ...

Umair

===========
Umair

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 01:26:06 PM »
Desferal no wonder is a fantastic drug, that is responsible for saving lots of lives. However, in our case it has done a great damage in a span of only two years. Anyways, we do hope that exjade works well in the coming future.

I do hope that these advances materialize soon as these things takes great amount of time to be commercial.
Regards.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 08:02:13 PM »
I do hope that these advances materialize soon as these things takes great amount of time to be commercial.
Hi CF ,
i hope the same , desprately waiting for the amazing stuff like this ...
However, in our case it has done a great damage in a span of only two years. Anyways, we do hope that exjade works well in the coming future.
i m sorry to hear about it , once a member told me abt it but i won't re-open this topic soo i post poned to express my sorrows ...  i hope Little-Princess will be fine soon and Exjade will wok super ffinely for her INSHA-ALLAH(God's-Willingly) ..

Alot of best wishes
and Best Regards
for you Daughter
Take Care
Umair

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk