Safety & efficacy of combined chelation therapy with deferasirox and deferoxamin

• 7 Replies

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Otto-Duessel M, Brewer C, Gonzalez I, Nick H, Wood JC
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Cardiology, Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Calif 90027, USA.

INTRODUCTION: Combined therapy with deferoxamine (DFO) and deferasirox (DFX) may be performed empirically when DFX monotherapy fails. Given the lack of published data on this therapy, the study goal was to assess the safety and efficacy of combined DFO/DFX therapy in a gerbil model. METHODS: Thirty-two female Mongolian gerbils 8-10 weeks old were divided into 4 groups (sham chelated, DFO, DFX, DFO/DFX). Each received 10 weekly injections of 200 mg/kg iron dextran prior to initiation of 12 weeks of chelation. Experimental endpoints were heart and liver weights, iron concentration and histology. RESULTS: In the heart, there was no significant difference among the treatment groups for wet-to-dry ratio, iron concentration and iron content. DFX-treated animals exhibited lower organ weights relative to sham-chelated animals (less iron-mediated hypertrophy). DFO-treated organs did not differ from sham-chelated organs in any aspects. DFX significantly cleared hepatic iron. No additive effects were observed in the organs of DFO/DFX-treated animals. CONCLUSIONS: Combined DFO/DFX therapy produced no detectable additive effect above DFX monotherapy in either the liver or heart, suggesting competition with spontaneous iron elimination mechanisms for chelatable iron. Combined therapy was well tolerated, but its efficacy could not be proven due to limitations in the animal model.
PMID: 19018129 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

For Complete Article :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19018129?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

Thank you for posting this :)

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
Awe , i m missing too much posts  ....
 Your Welcome Dore ,

Umair
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Hmmmm,

I wonder what the final results of the human clinical trials will reveal.  I think that the study will be complete in about 1yr or so.   My son's role in this study will be complete in August 2009.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Sharmin

Does this mean he can not be on combination therapy after August 2009?

manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Hi Manal,

He will continue to take combination therapy, we can select a more suitable dose for him at the time.  Probably less desferal and more exjade.  His participation in the trial will be complete at that time. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Wish him all the best Sharmin :hugfriend

manal

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
@ Sharmin,
May he will no more need DEsferal and will b on Exjade only after completing the trails ..
@ Little-A,
Wish you All the Best Little-A for your treatments and health . :goodluck ....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk