Update on Nigella (Black onion seed, cumin seed) and Hepatitis

• 112 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Update on Nigella (Black onion seed, cumin seed) and Hepatitis
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »
I've been talking with Ambareen and learned that she has completely reversed the course of her hepatitis by using black onion seeds (cumin, nigella). She used one half teaspoon mixed with honey daily. Ambareen's hepatitis was looking very bad and the doctors wanted her to take interferon therapy, which can be very harsh and isn't even effective on many patients. More about Ambareen's battle with hepatitis can be seen at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1147.msg8934#msg8934

I am very happy for my dear friend and wish her continued success.  :biggrin

And I hope hepatitis patients pay attention. I believe that the best course of treatment for hepatitis can be found with herbal treatments like nigella and milk thistle.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Update on Nigella (Black onion seed, cumin seed) and Hepatitis
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »
Andy,

I am so happy for your friend.  This is very useful information for our other members who have to deal with hepatitis, I hope that they can also find effective therapy by using this treatment that is good for them rather than attempting a therapy that can cause them to get very sick.

I am so happy that you are better Ambareen, I wish you continued good health. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:24:36 PM »
I just got some more information from Ambareen. By using black onion seed, she has also raised her Hb and stopped using steroids to combat hemolysis. She has greatly extended the time between transfusions, so this is something that we need to look at for antibody problems. She also says she knows someone who was cured of thalassemia just by using black onion seed. She also updated me on a young man she told me about when I was in Dubai in 2006. This man had stopped transfusing and to this day he does not take blood. Apparently, camel's milk played a role in this. We have a previous discussion about camel's milk at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=325.msg2277#msg2277  The role in immune system regulation by camel's milk also needs more investigation.

Sharmin, I will answer the question now. Yes, I would like to see little A try cumin seeds daily, to see if it has any effect on the autoantibody issue, and also if it affects his hemoglobin level in a positive way.

We get so dependent on doctors and meds that we forget that for the vast majority of history, only natural methods were used for illnesses. We need to re-discover the attributes of so many natural products to see how they apply to thalassemia. We are seeing that natural supplements play a big role in keeping patients healthy and I think we will also see how herbs also can play a large role.

Andy

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:44:54 PM »
Thanx Andy ,
its a great news for me , i hope it will work in same maners for me as well .. . ...

@ ALL
please remember me in your prayers , i always need your prayers ..

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 03:39:37 AM »
Andy,

I am so happy fro Ambareen,why isn't she posting much,i would like to know exactly how she used them,whole or ground ? Please tell me if you know,Little Z can try it .

Nigella and Black cumin seeds are same?

Zaini.

^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:47:46 AM »
Andy,

Thank you very much for the information.  I will get them as soon as possible. 
I have the same question as Zaini, I understand that black onion seeds = nigella
are cumin seeds the same thing? 

I would also like to know from Ambareen how I would give them to him and how much. 

Thanks again Andy, I will let you know when I start.  I truly appreciate the information.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:05:15 AM »
Umair previously posted about using this for his spleen. http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1956.msg16369#msg16369
We can ask him if the seeds need to be ground first.

More about Nigella from our friends at Sloan Kettering. http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69141.cfm

Scientific Name
Nigella sativa
Common Name
Black seeds, Black cumin, fennel flower, black caraway, nutmeg flower, Roman coriander, black onion seed, kalonji
Clinical Summary
Nigella sativa is a flowering plant found throughout India, Arabia, and Europe. The seeds, commonly known as Black Seeds or Black Cumin, are used in cooking and in traditional medicine for inflammation, infection, and cancer. In vivo and in vitro studies show that constituents from Nigella sativa may have immunomodulatory (1) (2) (11), antioxidant (15), antiparasitic (13) and hepatoprotective effects (14). Some studies also suggest Nigella sativa has anticancer properties. The constituents of the seeds, including thymoquinone, reduced the growth and size of tumors in rats (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9). In another study, Nigella sativa oil, when injected, demonstrated a protective effect against tissue damage caused by radiation (15). Human studies for these indications are lacking. Other data indicate that nigellone, a component of Nigella sativa seed, might be useful in the treatment of diarrhea, asthma, and hypertension (5) (10). Nigella sativa may also relieve symptoms of allergic reactions(12), but allergic contact dermatitis associated with topical use was reported (19).
Adverse effects are rare. However, high doses of Nigella sativa oil caused liver and kidney damage in rats (7).
Purported uses
# Antioxidant
# Anticarcinogenic
# Anti-inflammatory
# Asthma, bronchitis
# Rheumatism
# Hypertension
# Hepatoprotective
Constituents
# Active Ingredients: Thymoquinine (TQ) (mainly in essential oil)
# Dithymoquinone (DTQ) (nigellone)
# Thymol (THY)
# Thymohydroquinone (THQ)

Other Components:
# Alpha-hederin, a triterpene saponin in the seeds
# Monosaccharides (glucose, rhamnose, xylose, arabinose)
# Unsaturated fatty acids (linoleic acid, oleic acids (in fixed oil)
(3) (17)
Mechanism of Action
Thymoquinone, one of the chief constituents of Nigella sativa oil has antioxidant effects and restored the levels of lactate dehydrogenase, gluthathione, and SOD in animal models (6) (7) (9). This may explain Nigella sativa's hepatoprotective effects (3) (4). The antioxidant effect is thought to protect tissues from radiation injury (15). However, it is not clear if this would also make radiation therapy less effective. Thymoquinone administered to mice reduced the incidence of stomach tumors (7). Possible mechanisms include inhibition of DNA synthesis (7), and promotion of apoptosis by inhibiting cell growth in G1 phase (8). Studies have also shown that Nigella sativa oil has anti-inflammatory property by inhibiting cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase (18). An in vitro study demonstrated that nigellone, a constituent of the crude extract of Nigella sativa seeds, inhibited histamine release from rat peritoneal mast cells (10) and may reduce allergy symptoms in humans (12). Nigella sativa decreased hypertension in rats possibly due to its diuretic effects (5). It was also shown to decrease uterine smooth muscle contractions (14).
Adverse Reactions
# There is low level of toxicity (3).
# In animals, 10mL/kg of the fixed oil of Nigella sativa orally administered to rats for up to 12 weeks did not produce any significant changes in hepatic enzymes and did not cause mortality (16). However, high doses of 2g/kg or more caused damage to the liver and kidneys in rats (7).
# Topical use of pure oil of Nigella sativa caused allergic contact dermatitis in two people with maculopapular eczema (19).
Herb-Drug Interactions
# Nigella sativa has antioxidant effects. In theory, it may interfere with the actions of certain chemotherapy drugs and radiation therapy.
# Nigella sativa may have additive hypotensive effect when used with other antihypertensive or diuretic drugs.
Lab Interactions
In animal studies, Nigella sativa oil decreased serum glucose, triglyceride, cholesterol levels and leukocyte and platelet counts. But there was an increase in hematocrit and hemoglobin levels (16) (20).
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 04:25:07 AM »
Andy,

Umair mentioned that he takes 1/2 tsp of seeds in 1 tbs of honey - in that case perhaps I can give little A 1/4 tsp seeds in 1/2 tbs of honey  ???  He weighs between 27 - 28 kg.

I want to be sure of the dose because I don't want to risk toxicity.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:28:53 AM »
Ambareen is also taking half teaspoon, so one quarter would probably be good for a child. It's a fascinating herb that is commonly used in Asian cooking. I've noticed from what I know about Indian cooking is that many of the herbs and spices used have great therapeutic properties.
Andy

Offline maha

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 04:36:51 AM »
This is indeed good news. I am very happy for Ambareen. Ambareen did mention earlier that she was grinding the seeds to a fine powder and then mixing it with honey. In the book, Prophets medicine it is stated that an average man can take upto 25mg of seeds per day. As for the camel milk, I will start it on Hassan ASAP.

maha

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 04:43:35 AM »
Thank you Andy,
I will get this soon.  When I read about the Camel's milk - I'll be honest my first thought was - 'Now where am I going to find a camel  :dunno ?"  :biggrin

Can it be purchased or ordered from somewhere? 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 05:34:42 AM »
Thank you Andy,
I will get this soon.  When I read about the Camel's milk - I'll be honest my first thought was - 'Now where am I going to find a camel  :dunno ?"  :biggrin

Can it be purchased or ordered from somewhere? 

Sharmin
:heehee :heehee The same thought crossed my mind,although camels are avalable here,but where would i find their milk ?

I mostly use nigella seeds in cooking as i knew they are good for health,there is a Hadith by Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) which means that "Nigella can cure anything except death",so keeping that in mind i kept using it in cooking,and now i am happy that i did this,and i also take it in the morning on empty stomach for weight loss,with honey in warm water.

I'll start it with Little Z immediately,as both things are already present in my kitchen  :biggrin

Zaini.

^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:39:45 AM »
Sharmin,

You might consider Lactoferrin capsules, available from many companies. I would suggest looking for a product that also contains colostrum, as they both enhance the immune system.

I just spent some time reading about lactoferrin. It's a natural iron binding protein that is used by the body to help regulate how much iron is available. This is especially important in preventing viruses and bacteria from getting access to the iron that would make them flourish. One study I saw showed the value of lactoferrin in rheumatoid arthritis because it binds free iron found in the synovial fluid in joints. Lactoferrin sequesters iron, allowing it to be used only where needed in the body, while inhibiting the iron catalyzed production of hydroxyl radicals.

I read about lactoferrin until my head felt like a brick. I think we will return to this subject in the future.
Andy

Offline Zaini

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »
Thanks for the info Andy  :ty

Colostrum is available at Puritan.

http://www.puritansale.com/pages/iq.asp?SearchText=colostrum&x=0&y=0

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »
Congratulations for Ambareen and i hope  she continues to get better

This goes with the thread below
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2539.0;highlight=original+baraka

but unfortunatly this has been suppressed here by many big drug companies

manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk