Update on Nigella (Black onion seed, cumin seed) and Hepatitis

• 112 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Update on Nigella (Black onion seed, cumin seed) and Hepatitis
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 09:48:06 PM »
I have purchased the kalongi.   I drove around to all of the health food stores in town - only to find it at an Indian shop 2min from my home.  I will begin giving it to him tomorrow. 

I also purchased First Milking Colostrum lozenges by Sequel.  Each lozenge contains: 200mg of premium, first milking bovine colostrum.  I was told that it has lactoferrin in it, however the bottle does not list it.  Suggested use is one lozenge twice daily.

Does this sound right? 

Little A will have his first dose of Nigella Sativa tomorrow morning.  Please wish us luck!

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:42 PM »
Sharmin,

According to the page at http://www.cocoonnutrition.org/catalog/page_colostrum_NL.php  it does contain colostrum. Each lozenge also contains 50 mg vitamin C, so adjust his other dosage of C.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 11:30:14 PM »
Andy,

Does this mean that I should give it to him when he has desferal?  Tonight is not a desferal night but I want to give him the lozenge because he is fighting the cold and I would like to give him an immunity boost.

Sharmin
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:41:42 PM by Sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 11:33:12 PM »
This is the info I found on the brand that I purchased - Sequel
First Milking Colostrum

Colostrum is truly nature’s perfect immune-enhancing and anti-aging superfood. Few natural supplements have as much medical research supporting its value as colostrum. There are literally thousands of published clinical and scientific research studies proving the health-benefiting properties of colostrum. Here are just a few of the documented benefits of colostrum:
Enhances overall immune system and helps boost natural resistance to illness and disease; Provides anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal protection, creating unfavorable conditions for growth of numerous harmful microorganisms including those responsible for common health problems such as colds, influenza, diarrhea, ulcers, gum disease, and yeast infections; Regulates numerous auto-immune conditions including allergies, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease; Improves state of chronic health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, colitis, irritable bowel, leaky gut syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and HIV; Helps ward off and fight various types of cancer; Acts as an antioxidant to reduce the damaging effects of free radicals; Binds and transports iron in the body and is beneficial for iron-deficiency anemia; Heals digestive system and enhances nutrient absorption; Helps speed healing of wounds; Enhances lean muscle mass and increases metabolism of body fat. Sequel Natural's premium quality colostrum comes from the finest organic dairies in North America. To ensure maximum potency, Sequel only uses colostrum from the very first milking, collected within the first six hours after birth. Furthermore, their proprietary manufacturing process allows them to keep the colostrum’s naturally occurring fats fully intact to ensure the highest possible levels of age-defying growth factors. For additional information regarding Sequel Natural's First Milking Colostrum, go to http://www.sequelnaturals.com/sequelcolostrum.htm.

Hopefully together these two supplements - nigella sativa and colostrum - will help alleviate his antibody problem.

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 11:49:59 PM »
Sharni,

It's only 50 mg of C with each lozenge. I don't think when he takes them is any concern, as long as his total C doesn't get too high. One thing to keep in mind with the 250 mg daily limit is that this limit was based on what is a safe guess. In studies, it was at doses of over 800 mg daily where patients had a measurable reduction in heart function due to the amount of free iron passing through their heart. I also believe that this is more of a danger to those who are seriously iron overloaded.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 12:04:12 AM »
Thanks Andy,

As he is not getting desferal tonight - he won't be taking anymore vitamin C.  I will give him the lozenge today.  His lips are still pink so I am hoping that his hg is decent.  He has very distinctly strawberry colored red lips when his hg is high so I can easily tell when his hg is good.  His lips turn very pale when his hg is low.  So far he looks ok.....

I am excited about beginning these supplements.  So far supplements have done more for us than meds. 

He was running low on his vitamins so I also bought him more vitamin e (by natural source) 200IU.  They had mixed tocopherals in the 400IU but I did not know if it was okay to give him that much. 

The total zinc he was getting from his osteocare was 18mg so I bought some zinc tablets 10mg. 

I am considering giving my daughter the Nigella as well because the pitting on her nails.  I have been giving her all of her other supplements for months (Ostoecare, vitamin C, progressives,omega3) and nothing seems to have helped.  Pitting can be unrelated to anything else and spontaneously disappear in young children or it can be associated with psoriasis.  She has no other signs of psoriasis, her skin is clear and nice but I thought that giving her these supplements may help avoid autoimmune issues.   I may even give her the colostrum.  What are your thoughts Andy?  She will be 7 in June and she weighs 40lb. 

Thanks again for your help,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 12:12:50 AM »
Sharmin,

How long has your daughter been taking osteocare and is she also getting 18 mg zinc daily? Nail problems are often zinc related. Also, make sure her dietary vitamin A intake is sufficient. I do not recommend Vitamin A supplements unless a need is demonstrated. It is a vitamin that can cause problems in high doses so diet is a better source.

I know  thal major in her 40's who takes 1000 IU vitamin E daily. She is small and I doubt little A weighs less than she. I would have no problem giving him 400 IU daily.
Andy

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 12:30:30 AM »
Sharmin

Ahmad was prescribed vitamin E 400 mg alternating days but for now i just give it twice a week until i purchase a natural brand from abroad cause the only one from a natural source here is from wheat germ and it does not state whether iit has iron or not :huh :huh

As for your daughter, i think that it won't hurt giving her both the nigella (known to fight psoriasis too) and the colostrum. Actually i am doing the same for my daughter too, maybe it will  help for her nose allergy and if not it is still good for her, that what i think

now the day is so crowded with supplements and the day is short. Lately i am giving the mutlivitamin, osteocare, l-carnitine and folic, one dose of carao all at the same time and i hope that is okay :huh. The rest of the day we have the other dose of carao, l-carnitine, aloe vera, osteocare again (i am thinking of getting the chewable because it is taken only once) and then the hydrea.
So where we are going to fit the nigella and colostrum,any way i will try to squeeze them but i am sure i will face a lot of stuggle especially with the nigella. i am sure we  all have the same issue :wink

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2009, 01:01:25 AM »
Manal,

Vitamin E is made from wheat germ oil. Although wheat germ is high in iron, the oil is not and at the most, only trace amounts are found in wheat germ oil. One cup of wheat germ oil contains 0% of your daily iron. Vitamin E should be taken with meals, as should most vitamins.
Andy

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2009, 01:16:28 AM »
Thanks Andy so much for this important information, i really had a problem finding a natural source. Now i will go and get it and will split the capsule as it is sold as 1000mg, thanks again

manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2009, 01:30:03 AM »
Andy,

I started giving her Osteocare, Progressives, vitamin C & omega 3 consistently beginning in October.  She gets close to 18mg of zinc a day. 

Once we finish the vitamin E I will get him on the 400IU mixed tocopherols. 

I also bought a new brand of the B complex 50 - Prairie Naturals Super B-Force 50 with P5P & methylcobalamin. 
This is supposed to be a superior form of B complex because it ensures that all of the vitamins are absorbed - that is why I am posting the ingredients. 

Each cap contains:
vitamin B-1 (thiamine HCl)  50mg
vitamin B-2 (riboflavin)  50mg
vitamin B-3 (niacinamde) 50mg
vitiamin B5 (calcium-D-pantothenate)  50 mg
vitamin B6 (pyridoxine HCl) 45mg
vitamin B6 (pyridoxal-5-phosphate)  5mg
vitamin B-9 (folic acid) 1000mcg
vitamin B-12 (cyanocobalamin) 50mcg
vitamin B-12 (mehtycobalamin)  100mcg
Biotin  500mg
Choline (choline bitartrate)  20mg
Inositol    50mg
Para amino acid benzoic acid (PABA) 50mg

Sharmin
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:44:10 AM by Sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2009, 01:48:02 AM »
I just wanted to add that after his ritux treatments this summer he was really down, he had low energy and he ran out of breath easily.  These vitamins changed that 110% within weeks from the time that he started them.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2009, 03:10:08 PM »
I gave him his first dose of nigella today - I didn't have anything to grind it with yet (I will get a coffee grinder).  I crushed it a little (1/4tsp) into 1tbsp of honey and added a few drops of aloe vera.  He took this mixture and went off to have his blood tested with his dad.  I hope that the results are good.  Today is 3 weeks post transfusion, he is scheduled for a transfusion on Friday. 

His chest congestion, cough and stuffy nose was much worse today.  Apparently, many of the teachers and students are very sick at school.  His teacher has been sick for a month!  They are trying to figure out what is going around at his school and I am quite concerned because Little A can't add this to his list of issues.  Please pray for little A.

Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
Hi Sharmin,

This year we had really bad weather with lots of allergies. I know because Little Miss A never felt better this year. She is constantly fighting different issues since November 2008.

I hope Little Mr A gets well soon and rest assured you are doing a wonderful job. We ourselves worry too much but thats all of us "Parents'.
Regards.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2009, 05:09:17 PM »
Thank you for your encouragement Canadian Family  :hugfriend  It has been a tough year with constantly changing weather, viruses etc.  I hope that our Little Miss A recovers completely very soon.  Sending good wishes to our princess.

Little A's hemoglobin this morning is 100.  Not bad considering that he has been sick.  I am grateful that it is better than it was last time.  Had he not gotten sick I suspect that it would have been higher. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk