Taking Kelfer (L1) powder after removing the capsule

• 8 Replies

Offline Narendra

Taking Kelfer (L1) powder after removing the capsule
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »
Folks,

Is it ok to take the powder from the Kelfer (L1) directly after removing it from capsule or is it not a good idea? Does anyone know for sure if taking it directly might not be a good idea or taking the powder directly is better than taking it along with the capsule?

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Taking Kelfer (L1) powder after removing the capsule
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:16:25 AM »
Narendra,

I am sorry i have no experience with Kelfer,we have used Ferriprox but it comes in filmtabs and not capsules,i have emailed Cipla,i'll inform when i get any response.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 08:03:53 AM »
Why would you want to do that in the first place?

Because two things as far as i say, powder inside will be bitter most probably and will not be easy to take, secondly exposing contents of capsule in the air could be harmful and who know if it gets in the air or skin and can cause injury of some sort.

I think if it was good idea taking the powder, it would not be coming in capsules.

Just my two cents
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 03:21:53 PM »
Narendra,

I am not familiar with Kelfer, as my son is using desferal and exjade.  Personally, I would used caution in taking the pills in any other way than described. 

Perhaps you are thinking that it would be easier to give it to a child if the contents were to be removed from the capsule.  However, recently I have realized the importance of taking these pills (in our case exjade) exactly as prescribed.  We were crushing exjade pills, only to realize that you can not crush them and that you have to let them dissolve by themselves.  This has made me realize that perhaps there is a reason why it is advised to take meds in a certain way. 

You may wish to see however, that ferriprox is available in an oral solution, which may be easier to take and easier on the stomach, as per the following link:

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2293.0;highlight=oral+ferriprox

Best of luck,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Dori

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:46:47 AM »
Narenda,

Yes: this is the way I have taken kelfer for years!! Because I could not sallow those pills.
This is how we did it. Before we removed the capsule (gelatine), we made a sheet of yoghurt on a spoon. Then we did the powder on this sheet and placed a sheet (splodge) of yoghurt over the powder. In that way you take only the powder and not the capsule. I took Kelfer also on this way during the BSE period.

Good luck, Dore
p.s. my doctor did agree with this

Offline SF

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 04:01:06 AM »
Hi Dore,
I wonder how the powder tastes? If I was on kelfer, I would have the same problem (can't swallow pills)... These days, I'm giving it a thought and if I were to start on it, I would probably have to do the same. I remember reading on the ApoPharma website that you CAN crush the pills though it would not be easy to make it into a powder by crushing due to the film on it.
Regards,
SF

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 03:16:04 PM »
Hi SF ,
i dont know about kelfer and other medicine but here is a post please check it ..
Tips for taking medicine Especialy Ferriprox ( based on personal experience )
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1868.msg15658#msg15658

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 09:03:06 PM »
You must make a spoon with yoghurt-powder-yoghurt.
We did this to avoid the shell because that is made of gelatin (and it was in the time of BSE). Sometimes it went wrong, and does not taste too well but the yoghurt (I used "vla") worked very well. If you take yoghurt (vla is dutch) you must have it went a nice taste. I hope this helps.

Offline Poirot

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 06:33:19 AM »
Naren,

Should not be a problem - the capsule is essentially a repository, with no inherent value of its own, but as a delivery mechanism to take the active ingredient into the GI stream. The capsule is just digestible gelatin, in any case

So, if you can get rid of the capsule, without compromising hygiene, you should be okay - do keep in mind that kelfer has a weird after taste - so that that could be another issue.

And, I am not sure if it fully dissolves in water.

Cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk