ALT level - please help

• 10 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
ALT level - please help
« on: March 04, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »
Andy,

Little A had his ivig treatment today - and before his treatment he had his blood & urine tests done.

His ALT level was 53 (normal = 1 - 35) - is this something to be concerned about?

everything else seemed normal - although some results are pending.  His hg 5 days post tx is 134 and his vitamin D levels are pending. 

I am concerned about the liver enzyme - ALT level,

Thank you,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: ALT level - please help
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
It's fairly common to have raised ALT levels while on Exade but these levels are of no danger when slightly above normal. This is no problem at the current levels.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »
Thank you Andy,

His levels have been fine since he started exjade July 30/08 - so I panicked when I saw this. 

His phosphate levels were normal and I am happy with his hg for now.  I hope that over time receiving dna matched blood will allow his antibodies to calm down.  He has also been using nigella and colostrum for 1 week - I wonder if this may help his hg.  If his hg shows signs of dropping too quickly we will start ritux immediately.  As you know his Dexa was normal, but we are still awaiting his cardiac MRI results. 

I am also eager to get the results of his vit D so that we can give him the megadoses as required. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Narendra

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »
I am glad the levels Little A has are not a concern as of now. My question is (and I know this is a broader question) what would be the ALT level where one should start thinking of lowering the dose or stop taking Exjade?

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:42:49 PM »
Thanks Narendra,

I am wondering the same thing myself.  I have read somewhere that in patients that halted exjade during the trials their ALT levels were 5X the upper limit.  The doctor in Oakland will be getting back to me about the results soon as well.  I will post their indications. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline kabir_love

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:07:45 AM »
hi
my son on asunara. started 3 months now. before sgpt and sgot  were ok  just normal. now suddendly they had gone up to 157 and 90 respectively. so should we do anything  or  this is happenin to every1.

regs
micky

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:07:44 PM »
Micky,

It does happen with Asunra,my daughter is also taking it and her SGPT is a bit high too,can you tell me what was the time when the test was done? SGPT should be checked after the child has rested and his activity level is high,preferably in early morning.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline kabir_love

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 05:55:16 AM »
hi
test were done in the morning when we wne for BT  around 11.30 am.

thanx for answrin. any way to reduces these levels.?

regs
micky

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 06:37:57 AM »
Micky,

I don't exactly know what can be done to reduce these levels,i think they are supposed to go back to normal with time being,what did your doctor say? Are you giving Nigella to your son? It might help.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline kabir_love

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 07:04:18 AM »
what is  NIGELLA ?? PLEASE TELL ME I DONT KNOW

NEVER HEARD EVEN

REGS
MICKY

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 07:49:06 AM »
Hi Kabir ,
Nigella = Kalonji, which is a herb widely available here in south asia , here it ussed in cooking as spice as well .. you can easily find it ...

In English, Nigella sativa seed is variously called fennel flower, nutmeg flower, Roman coriander, blackseed, black caraway, or black onion seed. Other names used, sometimes misleadingly, are onion seed and black sesame, both of which are similar-looking but unrelated. The seeds are frequently referred to as black cumin (as in Bengali kalo jira), but this is also used for a different spice, Bunium persicum. The scientific name is a derivative of Latin niger "black".[1] An older English name gith is now used for the corncockle. In English-speaking countries with large immigrant populations, it is also variously known as kalonji (Hindi कलौंजी kalauṃjī or कलोंजी kaloṃjī), kezah Hebrew קצח), chernushka (Russian), çörek otu (Turkish), habbat albarakah (Arabic حبه البركة ḥabbatu l-barakah "seed of blessing") or siyah daneh (Persian سیاه‌دانه siyâh dâne)or كلونجى in urdu

all that stuff is quoted from Wikipedia ...

Best Regards
Umair

Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk