sick all the time!

• 2 Replies

Offline Krissi

• Krissi
  • I love my best friend!
sick all the time!
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:17:24 PM »
So I was just diagnosed with Thal after years of testing to figure out what was wrong with me. I was wondering if my terrible immune system is part of Thal. I get sick constantly no matter what I do it seems I cannot avoid getting sick at least once a month. Sometimes three or four times a month. I don't know much about Thal and I have been researching to figure things out but I just wanted to know if I was the only one who struggles with getting sick all the time.

Sincerely,

Krissi
Krissi

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: sick all the time!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:29:14 PM »
Hi Krissi,

Thalassemia minor may or may not be associated with feeling sick more often.  Being anemic can certainly cause you to become more fatigued and possibly more prone to getting infections.  The best way to deal with this is to ensure that you are taking proper vitamins and supplements.  Under the vitamins and supplements section we have listed many vitamins that thal minors may find helpful.  Be sure to avoid iron in vitamin supplements and iron is not suitable for thal minors unless if specific iron testing indicates an actual deficiency in iron.  Vitamin C should help you in strengthening your immune system, and even more so vitamin D can help you with your immune system. 

You can ask your doctor for a test to determine if you have a vitamin D deficiency.  Having a vitamin D deficiency causes you to have more colds and leaves you fatigued. 

Best of luck and please feel free to ask any other questions that you may have,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Krissi

• Krissi
  • I love my best friend!
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:46:24 PM »
Sharmin,

Thanks so much I will deff. look into that. I have been trying to keep up with Vit D and C and it has been helping. I just went two months without getting sick which is a new record for me, so I will deff try to increase that and just stay on top of things. I have not yet been tested for D deficiency so perhaps that is something I will look into.

~Krissi
Krissi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk