Study Finds Thal Minors do Have Symptoms

• 187 Replies

Offline Slade

Re: Study Finds Thal Minors do Have Symptoms
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »
Vitamin C is valuable antioxidant and could be an immune system booster but it is said to enhance iron absorbtion from food sources. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/73/1/93.long .
Is it really necessary to take 1g Vit C daily if the recommended dose is somewhere below 100mg? Some studies suggest that along with antioxidant properties Vit C also has pro-oxidative potential by reducing ferric iron to ferrous iron. This process could generate reactive oxygen species.
Hb Lepore variant

Offline kalp3

« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »
Thank you andy,
You haven't replied about my few doubts i have asked you in my previous question please have a look at the in your earliest convinience your suggestions means a lot to me... take care

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »
Kalpak,

The belief that thal is carried by only one sex is based in ignorance, not science. There is absolutely no connection between thalassemia and the sex of a person. I have heard this before and wonder how doctors can believe such ludicrous nonsense. Your children have a 50% chance of being thal carriers, regardless of which sex they are.

I think you need try adding the supplements I have mentioned to see if the hemolysis can be slowed. I feel that unless the hemolysis is reduced, that you will lose both your gallbladder and spleen. You can live without either, but your immune system will be compromised as a result.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »
Slade,

There is no reason for thal minors to be concerned about iron load, unless they are living with an abnormally low Hb for a minor. I feel that you can throw away the minimum daily requirements for most nutrients, as minimum is exactly that. The minimum. Are you trying to prevent scurvy or promote good health? Take the minimum to avoid scurvy. I prefer to address good health, not just to avoid the diseases that are caused by severe deficiencies. I have taken anywhere from 3 to 20 grams of vitamin C daily over the past 40 years. 20 can be difficult on the colon and I would not advise levels in that range for most people. 1 gram daily is not a large dose and we need to remember that C washes through the body quickly. Twice daily dosing is preferred because of this fact. Yes, C does help fix iron in the body, but unless your Hb is very low, your body's mechanisms will not become irregular and you will not absorb excess iron. One benefit of vitamin C that is not widely known is that vitamin C actually "recharges" vitamin E after it has already been used as an antioxidant, so that it can be used again by the body as an antioxidant. I wish I could recommend higher doses for majors, but because it can free up iron in the body to the point that the free iron can interfere with heart function, majors must limit their intake of C.

In this context with Kalpak, vitamin C is essential. He has what can only be considered a severe case of hemolysis. I have recommended the nutrients that may have some effect on slowing down this process by helping to create healthier red blood cells. Without efforts along this line, he will lose both gallbladder and spleen. I feel his gallbladder is so bad that he may soon lose it anyway, but this will not change things for his spleen, which is also greatly enlarged. 
Andy

Offline kalp3

« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »
Andy!
My spleen measures 9cm... is it too big for a thal minor? As u said that if this will continue i may loose my spleen too...
9 cm is too big for a thal minor? what should be the normal size for a thal minor?

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
Andy!
My spleen measures 9cm... is it too big for a thal minor? As u said that if this will continue i may loose my spleen too...
9 cm is too big for a thal minor? what should be the normal size for a thal minor?
Kalpesh,

Your spleen looks absolutely fine and normal.

A normal spleen weighs 150 g and is approximately 11 cm in craniocaudal length.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/206208-overview

So your is even better being 9 cm.

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »
Kal,

I was going by what you said as far as spleen size.
i also have enlarged spleen and during fever it almost occupies Half of my stomach.

Half the stomach is quite large. 9 cm is no big deal, but it does become a big deal when your spleen gets so large. Have you ever had a blood transfusion?
Andy

Offline kalp3

« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2012, 07:09:15 AM »
Yes andy i had blood transfusions in past and my spleen size measured 12cm when it gets enlarged do u think 12cm spleen size is too much in my case? After having meal and when my stomach is not empty its not that big... as i read some articles on spleen size they say that 11cm is normal spleen size and 12cm is also not a condition where you need to remove your spleen... what do you think andy? What should be the spleen size where someone have to perform surgery?
Spleen removal have many diadvantages do u really think that with 12cm spleen i need to remove it?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
Kal,

I think you may have had an antibody reaction to the transfused blood, as this is the only explanation that makes much sense. No, your spleen is not large enough to cause concern. I will be back with more later.
Andy

« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »
Hi Hannah, I also have the mouth sores like crazy.  Began in 1996 after I quit smoking and hasn't stopped.  Now taking viral meds every day, but still get them when I get tired and run down.  I also feel like my symptoms are getting worse.  Some days I barely have any energy.  have been taking b12 injections and that seems to help.  good luck with the sores, I don't think it ever stops. :wah

« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »
Hi All

I am the father of a 5 yr B-Thal Major girl . She is doing wonderfully well. However i,being thal minor, is going thru certain problems with my health. Recently, i got my HB checked as off late i've been going thru extreme exhaustion and fatigue. To my utter surprise it came out as 11.5 which i feel is far below the normal male levels.

I request if anyone can guide me into this. I feel exhausted all throughout the day and this is hampering my work as well as personally.

Offline Berlian

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »
Check your feritin first, Sidhi.
Almost all people who have low hb or hct, usually their feritin (iron store) is low too.
And don't forget, low B12 or folic acid can make poor red blood cell production.
For the best answer, we can wait until Andy come.

Never Give Up!

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2013, 02:55:55 AM »
Sidhi,

Have you had your Hb checked previously? Your level isn't unusual for a thal minor. Also, have you had your vitamin D level checked?
Andy

« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »
Hi Andy

Yes, this is 1st time i've got my Hb checked. And i am about to get Vitamin D checked as well. But just for knowledge what is the ideal vitamin c count be.

Offline Berlian

« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2013, 10:53:21 AM »
I think trouble in vitamin C is rare.
The most common vitamin that make trouble like deficiency, there are vitamin D and B12.
But vitamin D more common rather than B12.
Hope it helps.

Never Give Up!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk