Protection against hydrogen peroxide-mediated cytotoxicity in Friedreich's ataxi

• 1 Replies

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Protection against hydrogen peroxide-mediated cytotoxicity in Friedreich's ataxia fibroblasts using novel iron chelators of the 2-pyridylcarboxaldehyde isonicotinoyl hydrazone class.
Lim CK, Kalinowski DS, Richardson DR.

Iron Metabolism and Chelation Program, Department of Pathology, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia.

Iron-loading diseases remain an important problem because of the toxicity of iron-catalyzed redox reactions. Iron loading occurs in the mitochondria of Friedreich's ataxia (FA) patients and may play a role in its pathogenesis. This suggests that iron chelation therapy could be useful. We developed previously the lipophilic iron chelators known as the 2-pyridylcarboxaldehyde isonicotinoyl hydrazone (PCIH) ligands and identified 2-pyridylcarboxaldehyde 2-thiophenecarboxyl hydrazone (PCTH) as the most promising analog. Hence, this study assessed the efficacy of PCTH and other PCIH analogs compared with various chelators, including deferiprone and desferrioxamine (DFO). Age- and sex-matched control and FA fibroblasts were preincubated with iron chelators and subsequently challenged with 50 microM H2O2 for up to 24 h. The current study demonstrates an interesting structure-activity relationship among the closely related PCIH series of ligands, with only PCTH being highly effective at preventing H2O2-induced cytotoxicity. PCTH increased FA fibroblast cell viability by up to 70%, whereas DFO rescued viability by 1 to 5% only. Hence, PCTH, which was well tolerated by cells was far more effective than DFO at preventing oxidative stress. It is noteworthy that kinetic studies demonstrated PCTH to rapidly penetrate cells to induce 59Fe efflux, whereas DFO, PCIH, 2-pyridylcarboxaldehyde benzoyl hydrazone, and 2-pyridylcarboxaldehyde m-bromobenzoyl hydrazone were far slower, indicating it is the rate of chelator permeation that is crucial for protection against H2O2. In addition, PCTH was found to be as effective as or more effective than conventional radical scavengers or the antioxidant idebenone (which has undergone clinical trials) at protecting cells against H2O2-mediated cytotoxicity. These findings further indicate the potential of PCTH for treatment of iron overload.

PMID: 18424550 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

andy , i remember we have a member with "Friedreich's ataxia" diseas , he joined us a few weeks ago and he was in search of chelator , and he was asking about availability of Deferiprone in US ..
i hope this is helpful in his case ...

Andy , Manal Sharmin & Zaini, i found this info and now you people please comment on this  and please break this in easy to understand form , i hope you would like to do this ....

Best Regards
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowPDF&ArtikelNr=000205878&Ausgabe=243610&ProduktNr=223829&filename=000205878.pdf
n vivo Evaluation of Hydroxypyridone Iron Chelators in a Mouse Model
M. Gyparakia, J.B. Portera, S. Hiranib, M. Streaterb, R.C. Hiderb, E.R. Huehnsa

aDepartment of Haematology, University College London, and
bDepartment of Chemistry, Essex University, Colchester, UK

Acta Haematol 1987;78:217-221 (DOI: 10.1159/000205878)

Chelator
Desferrioxamine
Hydroxypyridone
Iron
Iron overload

Abstract

The 59Fe excretion caused by a range of bidentate N-substituted [R group = methyl (CP20), ethyl (CP21), propyl (CP22), isopropyl (CP23), butyl (CP24) or hexyl (CP25)] 3-hydroxypyrid-4-one chelators in iron-overloaded mice is presented. All the compounds cause significant iron excretion when given intraperito-neally, but that the most hydrophobic compounds, CP24 and CP25, were toxic except at low doses. The excretion caused by CP21, CP22 and CP23 were significantly greater than that caused by CP20 and slightly larger than that caused by an equivalent dose of desferrioxamine. These compounds (CP20 through CP24) also caused significant excretion of 59Fe when administered orally. Compounds CP21, CP22 and CP24 were significantly more active than compounds CP20 and CP23. It is concluded that the N-ethyl or N-propyl 3-hydroxy-pyrid-4-ones are the most promising compounds for clinical application. Preliminary experiments using a hexadentate pyrid-2-one, CP130, show that this causes significant 59Fe excretion both when given intraperitoneally or orally

Copyright © 1987 S. Karger AG, Basel

Author Contacts

Dr.J.B. Porter, Department of Haematology, University College, London WC1 E6HX (UK)

Article Information

Published online: February 25, 2009
Number of Print Pages : 5

i m posting this in here bcoze it is related to the same chemical compound/substance that i mentioned above ...
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk