Will thalassemia Minor prevent(no symptoms; very minor) me from climbing Mount K

• 5 Replies
Will thalassemia Minor prevent(no symptoms; very minor) me from climbing Mount Kilimanjaro?

I have an ambition of climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in June/July next year; but am wondering if anyone with knolwedge knows if thalassemia minor (not sickle cell) will make it impossible for me to do so? I'm fit and really want to do so. Im rather worried atm. Thanks in advance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Hi Tjo ,
 :welcome2 , i dont know abt the climate of that area of S.Africa ( Tanzania where ever that is ) but i know that TSP ( Thalassemia Society of Pakistan ) climbed K2's 1st base campp severel time with thal kids ... best of luck buddy and dont take risk , ,.. in TSP's group ther were doctors and helpers too ( not sure abt helpers but there was doctors with them i heard that ) ..  soo again dont take risk and wait for experties to answer your questions and concerns .... i hope you will find this community realy helpful and caring.. keep possting and stay in-touch with us ...

Best Regards
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

hi nice friend; thankyou for the kind and warm introduction. yes hopefully there are some people here who know about thalassemia minor in alltidue; im pretty sure it is possible. any way of reducing symtpoms at all; any vitiamins or medication??

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Hi,

I don't think that thal minor will prevent you from climbing mountains,especially when you are saying that you have no symptoms,i am not a mountain climber but i am a thal minor :) .

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
If you are in good health, there is no reason you can't climb a mountain. Tennis great Pete Sampras and football (soccer) star Zinedine Zidane are both thal minors. An interesting fact about hemoglobin and altitude is that after about 3 weeks at high altitude, the Hb level rises, so your Hb may be higher when you come down than when you went up.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
An interesting fact about hemoglobin and altitude is that after about 3 weeks at high altitude, the Hb level rises, so your Hb may be higher when you come down than when you went up.

and that is the reason why i choosed to have rooom at 1st floore, and thats why i went to ground flloor for only once a day and for really short time  :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl Just Kidding ... hahaha, .... Tjo, dont forget to tell me if you can see my home to the peak of that mountain (kiddinng again)... :teehee

Best Regards
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk