BodyBuilding Weights Training

• 11 Replies
BodyBuilding Weights Training
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:42:29 AM »
From my understanding of increasing muscle mass, repetitions of between 8-12, 3 sets should grow muscle over a few months to a year.
It has been reported that the last 3 repetitions in the set are most important.
Being Thalassemia minor may potentially mean that these last 3 cannot be performed due to anaemic (oxygen lacking) muscle conditions. 

I've made attempts to research sports science and physiology journals on this issue with not much success. And personally my weights training over the last 3 years have not been particularly successful.

Has anyone else been experiencing the same problem, or have any knowledge to contribute on the area.

Regards
ewk don

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: BodyBuilding Weights Training
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:04:29 AM »
Tennis legend, Pete Sampras and soccer (football) great Zinedine Zidane are both thal minors, so anything may be possible. What type of vitamin and mineral supplements are you taking along with your weight training? Protein is important but you also need to optimize your hemoglobin level and other supplements like folic acid, B complex, vitamins C,D and E are also important for building the blood, as well as L-carnitine which has a major role in the health of the blood vessels and the heart and also helps to fix nitric oxide in the blood, which improves the health and life span of red blood cells. You might also consider food products like wheatgrass, resveratrol and carao syrup as ways to improve your hemoglobin level, which in turn will improve your endurance. Learning proper breathing methods can also make a big difference to your endurance.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Moik

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
I was wondering this too thx

I experience the same problem..

I have read that low reps with high weight works best to shock your system into building muscle

No problem it seems getting toned but building mass does seem to be difficult

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 04:01:59 PM »

I heard Pete Sampras and Zinedine Zidane, but I'd like to know if there are any athletes with thal-minor, built muscle mass like body builders or similar.

I have no problem with cardio training, but regular weight training programs cause dizziness on me. I can only work out one musle group a day, so progress is very slow for me.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 05:34:21 PM »
Binsel,
i know the know a person with thalassaemia major  and he is on regular Transfussion and he doing bodybuilsing now a days ... i dont know much about body building , i will try to tell him to come and say something abt thal and body building , here on forum  ...

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »
same question over here...
I've been working out for 1.5 year without being very successful either (eating properly!)

Problems in losing body fat aswell as gaining muscle.. (I'm not fat (BFA~16%), but I just can't seem get to a BFA of 10%..
Very minimal muscle gains compared to others aswell..

Does havng a low hemoglobin hinder muscle gains or affect the ability to get lean/lose bf?
Or does anyone know someone with thal minor who is lean and has much mass?

My hemoglobin is around 12.5 btw

Offline Ironman

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 11:38:53 PM »
Just need to train harder. If I'd stop whenever I got tired, I wont get anywhere...

Works for me, and I'm major.

Fight yourself, before you fight others!

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »
Just need to train harder. If I'd stop whenever I got tired, I wont get anywhere...

Works for me, and I'm major.

hmm, kinda gives me hope that even a major can build solid lean muscle.. are you doing well?
I actually do train hard, of course 1.5 years ago I was a beginner, but I learned a lot during that time and I think I was really doing it right the past 6 months.. but duh..

oh well, I love working out anyway =p so that won't make me stop

Offline Ironman

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:38:31 AM »
Everyone can do it, no excuses...

Used to train with a dude aged 65, and even he could hang on.

Its just a matter of getting your body to "learn" how to respond to your training.

I admit, I used to take a break everytime I did any training, but then I started at a gym where the trainer really pushed me beyond tired hehe...

Slowly I found my real limits, not the ones I thought I had.

Find your limits and push them (yourself) :wink
Fight yourself, before you fight others!

Offline Bigg

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 07:46:14 AM »
Just wondering: can creatine supplementation be beneficial for erythrocytes, as it is beneficial for muscle cells? It is said to be strength and energy booster, and antioxidant, but otherwise it's a very long shot - no scientific research in this area whatsoever (at least I can't find it). It is a basic supplement for bodybuilders, so it would be nice if wrythrocytes might benefit too...

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »
Very interesting Bigg... but isn't this the same function of L-carnitine to the muscle cell and red blood cell too.

manal

Offline Bigg

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 07:50:53 PM »
Very interesting Bigg... but isn't this the same function of L-carnitine to the muscle cell and red blood cell too.

Well, they are similar only by name, bacause both these supplements are calles antioxidants. And virtually every supplement there is, is called this way.
Take for example vitamin C and IP-6. They are both antioxidants, but does this mean that they work in the same way? Not at all. Vitamin C is a direct antioxidant and IP-6 is indirect antioxidant, because it chelates iron, which then will not be able to catalyze ROS production. What is more important for thals is that vitamin C increases iron absorption, and IP-6 chelates iron. So in the end it's not the antioxidant properties that matter, but the other properties.
What also matters is the way these antioxidants work - one works in one way, the other works in another way and in anotrher place within the cell (erythrocyte for that matter). Every new antioxidant can potentially be the one that does a really good job of geting rid of ROS in erythrocytes, resulting in longer lifespan.
Recently I discovered that magnesium is like the best (as of now) antioxidant for erythrocytes, because it catalyzes superoxide dismutase recovery - and it's still antioxidant but not direct.
About magnesium and erythrocytes, here for example:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17536123

And creatine is said to improve production of glutathione, so it also has indirect antioxidant properties:
http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/creatine_newsletter_31.html

I don't know if all this info on creatine applies to erythrocytes, but it's worth considering.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk