Helping all in Andhra Pradesh to fight Thalassemia & Sickle Cell.

• 3 Replies

Offline pplrjsh

• Father to a Thal Major Boy

THALASSEMIA & SICKLE CELL SOCIETY at HYDERABAD,ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA.

6-3-182/2 2nd floor, lake view palace,
 Road no: 1, Banjara Hills,
 Hyderabad 500034.

The administrative & transfusion centre in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India is situated at the above address.

There are 3 Nurses,1 Doctor monitoring the children affected with thalassemia with regular blood transfusion.Certain Parents & Doctors do counselling on prevention,& awareness among general public &Doctors. 

Thalassemia is preventable if both male & female get their blood tested for thal or even if they are aware that there is a disease named thalassemia & will be passed on to the children born to them with every 3rd week blood transfusion lifelong & the agony to go through they will definitely avoid bearing genetic disordered children.

with regards
pplrjsh

Offline Smurfette

• Me and my Goddaughter
Re: Helping all in Andhra Pradesh to fight Thalassemia & Sickle Cell.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 11:48:53 AM »
I was going to post something..but I wont keep everyone happy....

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:24:16 PM »
I would just like to comment that the reality of thal in India is far different than it is in the west and Australia. When money to pay for blood is not available, let alone the high cost of chelation and other necessary medical costs, having a thal major child is tantamount to a sentence to a slow cruel early death in life. Each has to choose for him/herself, but when the fate of your child will be a miserable death before the age of 10, terminating a pregnancy may be a far more humane option.

Walk a mile in their shoes before you criticize.

I know this is extremely controversial but it needs to be said. It is far too easy to pass judgement on others when you don't have to live their lives. The reality in India is that many, many children suffer just that fate. A cruel, miserable, short existence with no treatment whatsoever.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline vic

• thal minor with sickle cell child
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 10:26:06 AM »
i totally agree andy
  i always tell colleagues and anyone i talk to about christians condition that we are so lucky to live in a country like australia.  blood is available, no payment necessary, associations raise funds for our chelation pumps, the government has the medicine available on a Pharmaceutical benefits scheme so we only have to pay a a small amount for the desferal or exjade.

i never take it for granted and i am thankful for what we have and my thoughts go to those in countries where all this is not available.

vicky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk