Could it be true!? Diagnosed w/ Thal Minor + Iron Deficiency?

• 2 Replies
Could it be true!? Diagnosed w/ Thal Minor + Iron Deficiency?
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »
Hi,

I posted a message in July about looking for the right answer b/c my family doc wanted me to have IV Iron and I have been told my entire life that I have Thal Minor and that iron wouldn't help...Well...today I saw a Hematologist and he is did more blood test b/c he told me that there wasn't a test for Thal minor in the early 70's (in which I was supposedly diagnosed).  He explained that it is possible that I have both Thal Minor and Iron deficieny Anemia he said this b/c my ferritin level is 9 (suppose to be between 20-200) and my hemaglobin is 10...he said that Thal Minor's "typically" don't have low iron levels and usually stay around 11.8 on the hemaglobin.  He said that I am very anemic and wants me to have IV Iron next Friday! It takes 5 hours to administer!  I am very nervous about this for sure!!  He is my 2nd opinion from a physician standpoint..I have been having all the symptoms of iron deficiency anemia - hair loss, constantly chewing ice, brittal nails, easily bruising, legs swelling, etc.....Does anyone have any advice?  Should I get the iron?  I am confused how I could have both Thal Minor & Iron Deficiency Anemia - has anyone else heard of this? 
Thank you!
Tammy

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Could it be true!? Diagnosed w/ Thal Minor + Iron Deficiency?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »
Hi Tammy,

Yes, thal minor and iron deficiency can co-exist and you have done the right thing by being tested for iron. I imagine if anyone was to study it, they would fine that thal minors have iron deficiency at the same rate as the general public. There is no connection to thal. It is simply iron deficiency. Your case does sound severe enough to take the IV iron. I think you will quickly know if this helps. I think it probably will.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline maryo0m

• ---SPREAD UR WINGS AND FLY---
Re: Could it be true!? Diagnosed w/ Thal Minor + Iron Deficiency?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 01:32:51 AM »
Hey there

yup thal minor = iron defeciency

actually in kuwait and london there is a pharmacy names Boots

see if you've got a branch nearby where ever u live

and ask for iron tablets or hemoglobine tablets that contain iron
they are good even for the redblood cells supplying them with everything they need plus it will boost ur iron level

and eat food that contains alot of iron like dates

best of luck

mariam
------------Spread your wings and fly-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk