Supplement concern

• 2 Replies

Offline coleismybear

Supplement concern
« on: August 15, 2009, 08:48:33 AM »
Hi guys..
wondering if i am posting at the correct subforum.

was diagnosed to have iron deficiency anemia and alpha thal co-existing. i did not follow up at any doc's, and so i went to a local pharmacy to ask whether there're any supplements which i could take and this promoter advised me to take "Sangobion" and she said it was suitable for thals. i bought the the tabs and ate it once a day, so this one fine day i was searching for information all around and found out that thals cannot take iron, which is what sangobion is mostly composed of.

just want to find out if i can continue taking this thing as an energy booster/supplement. would be a waste if i throw it away...

Thanks people.  :wink

Offline Dori

Re: Supplement concern
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »
We should wait for the real people who know all about it.

I never heard of that supplement, but I also haven't use google to search for it. Some thal minor patients do take something iron supplements (is that right). Though you should better let your iron panel test. Only that you may know of you can take this. What's your hgb? Do you know that? We have some members from Singapore and they should advice you a doctor.

My post doesn't really help you, but better advice is on this way. Maybe after the weekend, but good advice is coming!

Best wishes,

Dore
p.s. I dont have thal, but the (other) rare anemia called pyruvate kinase deficiency. Different cause, same treatment.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Supplement concern
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:54:01 AM »
Hi coleismybear and welcome to the site

Iron deficiency anemia can co-exist with thal minor. All you have to do is to do a full iron study and if iron defiiciency anemia is proven, iron supplements should e taken until the anemia is corrected.

Also make sure to drink citruis juice rich with vitamin C (like orange juice) with meals cause it will increase the ability of iron absorption from food. Also you can increase your intake frm green leaves food like spinach as they have a lot of iron.

Also avoid drinking tea with meals as tea inhibits iron absorption.

Taking a good multivitamin, vitamin E, B-complex and folic acid are also recomended to all thal from minors to majors. They will post your energy levels.

Hope this helps

manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk