magnesium and zinc levels

• 10 Replies

Offline Emby

« on: August 18, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »
hi,

please, would like your help on magnesium and zinc levels.  we had test done recently for this and the results came back magnesium .85 (normal levels being 1.8-3.0 ?) and zinc 14.7.
what should normal levels for these read?

thanks
Emby

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: magnesium and zinc levels
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:04:22 AM »
Emby,

I am sorry it took me so long to reply,but i was trying to find what are normal zinc levels or the reference ranges.

According to the ranges you mentioned and those i have your son's levels are low,infact pretty low,if you did plasma zinc levels,normal ranges are from 50-150 ug/dl,so you need to start him on some kind of zinc supplementation,i'll post the food resources of zinc in a while too,but supplementation will go along too.

Magnesium is necessary for heart's health and RBC's too,so look into it,i think you are in UK and Osteocare is available there,infact i think its manufactured there,it contains both zinc and magnesium along with calcium and vitamin D.

Andy,

Do you think osteocare will solve the problem or a bit more supplementation is needed?

Zaini.

^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 07:36:37 PM »
Zaini,

I do think Osteocare can probably correct these deficiencies.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Emby

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »
thank you zaini for your reply.
i spoke with their doc and she told me that this level was within normal range ?!  i tried looking up normal range for zinc but didn't find anything.  can you please tell me what is the normal serum level for both magnesium and zinc .  the reading for zinc was 14.7(ug/dl??) is that the right way to read this. i do not really understand what your result means compared to 14(.)7... :(...do i need to ask which zinc test was done...if so what zinc test should i ask for... :huh...?  and please can you explain the magnesium results...sorry...don't understand them either...
their doc is gonna hate me....again....when i say ''no doc....actually...''

by the way hope you have a happy..easy...accepted month of ramadhan. has your little one tried fasting...i used to worry but my boys manage it really well alhumdolillah...they want to keep them so we let them.  it must be so hot there...i'll pray that it is easy for you. we are fasting for nearly 17 hours here in england...soon to be 20 hours (in a year or two..british summer time!) please remember us in your prayers.

lots of luv
Emby     

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »
The reference range for normal zinc levels is The reference range is 10.7 - 22.9µmol/L (70-150 µg/dl).
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/zinc-diagnostic-test.html

The reference range for magnesium varies according to the lab, but any value under 1 is cause for concern and should result in correction through magnesium supplementation.

I would highly recommend a supplement like Osteocare. The importance of magnesium is often overlooked, but magnesium is essential for heart health, along with calcium. They should be taken together.
Andy

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 05:50:26 AM »
Emby,

Andy explained it quite well :) actually there are two types of tests for zinc,serum zinc and plasma zinc,the normal ranges i posted were for plasma zinc.

Wishing you a happy and blessed Ramadan too  :hugfriend yes my daughter has tried fasting and does fast a few days in Ramadan,but not whole Ramadan,because as you mentioned its quite hot here and kids have school too,we are fasting for about 14 hours here,a friend of mine who lives in London told me that they are having 17 hours fasting,i have told my daughter that i'll let you keep them all once you are old enough,but right now you can try to get the essence of Ramadan by so many other good deeds.

Much Love,

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:04:31 AM »
actually there are two types of tests for zinc,serum zinc and plasma zinc,the normal ranges i posted were for plasma zinc.

Andy

Does the trasnfused blood affect the reading of certain vitamins or minerals. Usually platlets and WBCs are taken away from the blood before transfusion but plasma is not ( i guess since the red blood cells float in them, am i right???)
Aren't the serum calcium, zinc, magnesium,..... measured in the plasma??? quiet confused :huh

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 05:33:55 AM »
Most transfusions are packed red cells and have the plasma removed. The main mineral absorbed is iron, since it is in the center of the hemoglobin molecules. Any other traces of minerals would not be significant.
Andy

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »
Thanks Andy :wink

manal

Offline Emby

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:34:19 PM »
thank you very much andy, for helping me understand these results.  i appreciate it alot.  i have bought the osteocare tablets but i now need to convince the boys to take them.  they say if its recommended by their doc then they'll take them... ???
hope you are well and wishing you a happy and healthy ramadhan too fasting or not... :biggrin

zaini, lots of love to your daughter and well done to her although it is not compulsery for her to fast as with our boys, its nice she has tried. wishing yourself and your daughter (and loved ones) best of health....its key thing to stay healthy..

take care
Emby 

vernuskloyz

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 11:09:33 AM »
This makes me wonder about how "they" decide how much of each particular vitamin and mineral we should take in.  Maybe foods 50,000 years ago actually had higher levels of, say, magnesium than they do now.  Or maybe we only need the RDA of 400 because of the modern diet most people eat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk