Hydroxyurea Therapy in 49 Patients with Major Beta-Thalassemia

• 30 Replies

Offline cherieann

Re: Hydroxyurea Therapy in 49 Patients with Major Beta-Thalassemia
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 08:38:11 AM »
Everybody is different so we react different. I did a trial and after 4 months, started extending transfusions. As my doctor said, it reacts differently. Some need a higher dose where some don't. Some will take time where other people, it won't work on.
Thalassaemia is a lifestyle not a burden.

Offline Lena

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
Of course, everyone is a specific individual case. I only refer to the results I am aware of.

Lena.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 03:49:40 PM »
As Manal has previously pointed out, hydroxyurea does work better in people with certain genetic mutations, so this is one of the factors that affects the results.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline baal

• to be or not to be
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 05:13:14 PM »
hi andy

and witch mutation u mean?

u think i could give em a chance to risk it.....?

i have thebeta compound pluse the alpha trail...

panos

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 06:40:02 AM »
Panos,

Two thalassemia mutations that have been shown to have a better response to hydroxyurea are Xmn1 and IVSII-1. It has also been found that alpha deletions can add to the effect  in these beta mutations. Do you know which beta mutations you have?
Andy

Offline baal

• to be or not to be
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 04:30:55 PM »
hi

i have posatet my mutation in an earlyer post

look here:

first tx for ur reply manal.
now i give u the results of my analysis.
compound heterozygotie ß°ß+(OMIM:141900;ICD-10:D56.1)
BUT......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not only this one......
there is an other mutation too in my genes
heterozygote α+-Thalassämie(-α+/αα)  (OMIM:141800;ICD-10.D56.0)

so i have a triple mutation in my genes witch is pretty rare.....
the positiv point of view is....that the 3rd mutation seemed to be
helpfully and made the thal milder.......
andy could u tell us somethink about it?             panos

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
okiey
that mean's there is no chance that i can try hydrea , bcoze i dont know which mutation i carry's ... anywayz, thank u al , for helping me to decide . 

lots of Regards
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 08:31:09 PM »
Panos,

This is very difficult to answer. Studies have shown that hydroxyurea increases hemoglobin levels in thalassemics with many different mutations. However, we know that it has not been effective in all patients who have used it. Some of this is related to less than 100% compliance by the patients, so it it difficult to say whether it was lack of compliance or if it just didn't work well for them.

Using hydroxyurea in thal majors to reduce the frequency of transfusions is a relatively new idea, as opposed to the concept of completely eliminating transfusions. It is believed that this increases fetal hemoglobin and also reduces ineffective erythropoiesis (production of young red cells), which also affects the severity of thalassemia. Fewer ineffective red cells does make for a healthier individual.

Hydroxyurea also has the effect of shrinking masses caused by extramedullary haemotopoiesis, where red cells grow outside the bone marrow. This often creates serious problems as these masses can press against organs, causing pain and reducing function of the organs. Panos, because of your history, I am wondering if hydroxyurea has ever been suggested as a way of shrinking the extramedullary growths. Hydroxyurea may have a positive effect for you in more than one way. I would suggest you talk to your doctor about this and see if it seems practical for you.
Andy

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 07:13:11 PM »
Umair,

I agree to Andy's suggestion to talk to your doctor to try Hydrauxyurea. My daughter is taking it for last 3yrs and it is helping her to reduce the frequency. Earlier she used to get transfused every 30 days but now it has increased to 45 days since last 3 yrs.

My daughter is taking 20mg/kg. I have not seen any side effect. If anybody needs any more info, I will be happy to share.

Regards,
Om

Offline Andy Battaglia

Re: Hydroxyurea Therapy...And One More Study
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »
http://journals.lww.com/jpho-online/Abstract/2007/11000/Efficacy_of_Hydroxyurea__HU__in_Reduction_of_Pack.5.aspx

Background: Packed red blood cell (PRC) transfusion with iron chelation is the mainstay of treatment for patients with beta-thalassemia major. Hemoglobin F augmentation is another approach to treat this hemoglobinopathy. This study evaluates the efficacy and safety of hydroxyurea (HU) in minimizing PRC transfusions in patients with beta-thalassemia major.

Method: Twenty-three patients with beta-thalassemia major received HU at a mean dose of 16 mg/kg/d. The results were analyzed at the end of 24 months. Transfusion requirement during the 6 months preceding the study was considered as the control.

Result: Twenty patients were evaluable after 24 months. The mean volume of PRC transfused was reduced from 2126.45 mL to 1489.59 mL (P<0.001). The interval between transfusions was increased by 68.7%. Grade I myelosuppression was observed in 4 patients and diarrhea in 2 patients.

Conclusions: HU was found to be safe in patients with beta-thalassemia major, and resulted in reduction in the transfusion requirements and in increase of the intervals between transfusions.

Since the focus of study shifted from replacing transfusions entirely, which is unlikely to happen with hydroxyurea in thal majors, to reducing the amount of blood being taken, we are seeing very encouraging results. The problem with the earlier research was that majors were not allowed to transfuse during the hydroxy therapy. When hydroxy did not raise Hb enough to avoid transfusions, it was thought that hydroxyurea had no place in treatment of thal major, but once hydroxy was given to patients who did not stop transfusing, the value of hydroxyurea became evident. The frequency of transfusion and the amount of blood needed both dropped. As I mentioned, the reduction in ineffective erythropoiesis also plays a role. Fewer transfusions mean less iron and less of all the bad effects of iron. I really think many majors can benefit from hydroxyurea therapy.
Andy

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »
These are really encouraging results. As main concern of thal majors (and specially for me these days) is more blood requirements and decreasing tx gaps with age. I hope we can start soon on HU and get good results.
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 09:23:10 PM »
Hi Opkaram,
i have forward the study to my doctor and .. yeah, i'll definitely ask my doc to my doctor to check if i can give it a try .. result of your daughter r really encouring as  15 day's increas in interval mean's alot for a thall maj  .. i will definitely again talk to my doctor abt this .. i will contact you whenever i need ur help and thanx for offering help .. i will contact u if my doc told me to give it a try ....

@ Andy
Thanx ya Andy , for this sharing, its encouraging, ...

@ Tariq
Agree to you buddy , gap between Tx is most imp thing for us (thal maj ) and as u people red my previous posts , that depression was caused bcoze of the shortness of the gaps .. so, its really an important thing for us , from Iron overload aspects too ,,,

Best Regards
umair
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 03:38:04 AM »
Hello Umair,

My advice to you is to give it a try (if the doctor agrees ) cause it might work for you cause not all mutations have been studied with the hydroxurea and even it could have different results with two persons with same mutation cause there areother factors in the body that can aid either positivly or negativly.

All you have to do is to check the kidney and liver functions every month until you are sure that it does not affect them and usually doctors give up to 9 months before they judge whether it works for the patient or not

manal

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 08:29:02 AM »
where and in which places this therapy conducted for beta thalassemia major ,is their any place in india

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 10:08:48 AM »
Hi Manal Sis,
i m looking to talk about this to my doctor in my next visit, let's see when i will go to visit next .. my last vist was a few months back mayb in MAY or June ... looking to go again soon .. i will talk to her about this again , i have forward this study to her ... i m hopeful that she will agree to give it a try ..... 9 months wooooo, long time but its okiey ..  hope that it will b helpful to increase the intervalls ... thanx ya Sis for taking time to reply, and Welcome ack :) ....

Best Regards
Umair

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk