Is my family physician right?

• 3 Replies
Is my family physician right?
« on: August 26, 2009, 01:53:55 PM »
Hi All,

After a routine check-up, my family physician's assistant called and told me to start using iron supplements since blood test showed my blood level is low.
Last year I told her that I have Thalas Minor. Shoud I assume she missed that?

Thanks,

Burhan

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Is my family physician right?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 02:03:10 PM »
It is a common response from doctors who do not understand thalassemia. The low hemoglobin level of a thal minor cannot be corrected with iron supplements unless iron deficeint anemia co-exists. A panel of tests called iron studies can determine if you have iron deficiency. Your Hb level alone, is not enough to say you need iron.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »

Thank you, Andy.

Away from my blood test results, I have been feeling much better since I started consuming freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice 6 months ago (2-4 times a week). My energy and stamina increased. Even my wife now wants to consume it after she has seen its affects on me.

Burhan

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 01:14:05 AM »
As I understand it, iron supplements will make no difference in improving your blood levels if you're thalassemic...

As a child, I ended up with accidental iron poisoning after the doctor told my mom to put as much iron into my diet as possible.  It did nothing, but on the plus side, it led to my diagnosis of thalassemia.

It is amazing how little so many doctors know about this disease, especially given that it is the number 1 most common genetic disorder in the world.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk