Lactaid for stomach issues when using Exjade

• 11 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Lactaid for stomach issues when using Exjade
« on: August 29, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
We were told in Oakland that Lactaid is considered safe and effective to use with Exjade to alleviate stomach upset or stomach ache resulting from Exjade.  It resolves the bloating in the stomach as well.  A few times I have given Lil A 3 tablets of chewable Lactaid when his stomach was bothering him and it resolved the problem. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Lactaid for stomach issues when using Exjade
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 03:44:48 PM »
Sharmin,

Thanks for the advice. This is an issue many people have had with Exjade and this could make a big difference to those having problems taking it. I think this little bit of advice is going to be repeated often.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
Be sure not to give the patient Lactaid or anything else within a half hour of using the Exjade - as Exjade is to be taken on a completely empty stomach.  I usually give Lil A the Lactaid a few hours before or after Exjade. 

For a while lil A was feeling bloated and he had lost his appetite. He lost 4lb as a result of this.  Recently Little A has begun taking Exjade at night - I also use Lactaid when he has stomach issues - and thankfully his appetite has returned to normal and he has regained the weight he had lost. 

I hope it helps everyone:)

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline zahra

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 04:53:27 PM »
Dear Sharmin,
What is lactaid?
Zahra

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:00:42 PM »
Hi Zahra,

In North America Lactaid can be purchased at any pharmacy over the counter.  Lactaid is used when people have an intolerance to dairy, it contains natural enzymes that the stomach has to help break down lactose (sugar from milk) - it also reduces stomach ache and bloating that is associated with intolerance of dairy.  It has been found that Lactaid also reduces stomach discomfort caused by Exjade.

Sharmin

ps. I had misplaced the sheet on which I took notes during our visit.  I have just found it so I will be posting more info soon.
Sharmin

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 09:07:30 PM »
Thank you. Now I have smth to ask my doctor this month. It is only by receipe, isnt it. I now take anti nausea stuff but it doesnt help. Btw did you know that more than 50% of the has an intoleration for lactose?
Be careful with Exjade when he starts to take more. It can be very hard on the body. (ok I have an allergy for E.)

Offline ginacappo

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 04:24:04 AM »
Be sure not to give the patient Lactaid or anything else within a half hour of using the Exjade - as Exjade is to be taken on a completely empty stomach.  I usually give Lil A the Lactaid a few hours before or after Exjade. 

For a while lil A was feeling bloated and he had lost his appetite. He lost 4lb as a result of this.  Recently Little A has begun taking Exjade at night - I also use Lactaid when he has stomach issues - and thankfully his appetite has returned to normal and he has regained the weight he had lost. 

I hope it helps everyone:)

Sharmin
I have lost my appetite is that from the Exjade?

Offline Dori

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:39:48 AM »
I forgot about this topic. My stomach, especially esophagus, is hurting so much.

Lost of appetite. Do you experience pain or nausea? It can also come because of low hgb, but Exjade can always be the troublemaker.

Offline flyaway

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »
Hi Dore, I'm taking Nexium (Esomeprazol) half an hour or even better 1 hour before I take my Exjade dosage and my stomach-burning stopped. It may help, worth trying.
All the best, flyaway

Offline Gabri

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »
When I started Exjade, I noticed problems on my stomach . To avoid them I used to take Exjade just in the evening when I was ready to go to bed. This way I overslept the symptoms. :insomnia  :biggrin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 03:40:28 AM »
Flyaway,

Nexium is a very effective drug.  Andy, is Nexium contraindicated with Exjade?  I am not sure if it contains aluminum. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 03:47:22 AM »
There is no aluminum in Nexium.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk