Question for Andy...

• 208 Replies

Offline Emby

Re: Question for Andy...
« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
He loves tea!
The T2* for liver was done with MRI. He would be having the Ferriscan done very soon inshaAllah.
He has been discharged and is back home..quiet weak...but thank Allah getting better. It was such a scare and I would say drink, drink and drink even if you think you have drunk enough then still drink with Exjade and if you feel something is not right then get it checked straight away..you know your body better than anyone else and as a parent you know your child better than anyone else.

Offline Emby

« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2013, 05:59:04 PM »
Thank you Lena and thank you Andy... :heartpink

Offline Emby

« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2013, 12:58:48 PM »
Andy you mentioned that Amylase problem has been reported regarding Exjade so can you give me that information. H's Dr said that there is no connection with Exjade and that she contacted them but they do s not have any reports this. She did say that everything else was caused by Exjade.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2013, 12:20:02 AM »
It's not a common side effect bit increased amylase is on the list of observed side effects in the Exjade study that followed sickle cell patients for 5 years. If levels return to normal while not using Exjade, I would suspect Exjade as the cause.
If his Ferriscan shows a high LIC, there may be no choice but to use desferal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3170481/
Serious AEs were experienced by 131 patients (70·8%) overall. The most common serious AEs, which were reported in ≥10% of all patients, were sickle cell crisis (n =67, 36·2%) and pyrexia (n =34, 18·4%). Deferasirox was permanently discontinued in 12 patients (6·5%) following serious AEs. Nine patients (4·9%) had 17 serious AEs that investigators suspected to be related to deferasirox treatment, including gastrointestinal disorders (n =3), sickle cell crisis (n =2), lymphadenopathy (n =1), tinnitus (n=1), granuloma (n =1), tuberculosis (n =1), spontaneous abortion (n =1), pulmonary thrombosis (n =1), increased alanine aminotransferase (ALT; n =1), increased aspartate aminotransferase (AST; n =1), increased blood alkaline phosphatase (n = 1), increased blood amylase (n =1), increased blood bilirubin (n =1), increased lipase (n =1) and increased transaminases (n =1).
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Emby

« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2013, 08:04:58 PM »
Yes the amylase reading went up to 900 but now has come down to a normal level,l 36. His Dr said that it wasn't pancreatitis, with such a high reading, because he didn't have the symptom that goes with it... agonising pain in that area. I also think it had to do with the Exjade.

Offline Emby

« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »
Lena can you please tell me how much Ferriprox and Desferal you are taking at the moment. Would help me to understand which direction to go in with H.

Offline Emby

« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
Andy, H's Dr wants to keep H off of any chelation for a few months  ???. I know that his body needs to recover from the effects of Exjade but I'm worried about iron overload. Shouldn't he be starting back with even a tiny dose of Ferriprox perhaps or to give time for his organs to recover?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
I think he should wait. His organs have been through an ordeal and need time to recuperate. I would suggest natural chelators like drinking lots of tea and IP6 (inositol hexaphosphate) if you can find it. And keep him well hydrated.
Andy

Offline Emby

« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
Thank you for the advice  :smiley

Offline Emby

« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2013, 06:13:59 PM »
Can anyone please advice which is better to take for Vit D,  cholecalciferol or ergocalciferol ?

Thank you.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2013, 11:33:52 PM »
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is preferred.
Andy

Offline Emby

« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »
Hello Andy,

I would like to know if reading for Urea is a bit high and creatinine a bit low for thals, is this okay?
Thank you.

Emby

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »
HI Emby,

Low creatinine is fine and it's the high end that is problematic when chelating. Low means the kidneys work well. Slightly high urea may just reflect the level of hydration during the test. It's not an issue.
Andy

Offline Emby

« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2014, 11:50:03 PM »
Thank you Andy :smiley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk