Won't test me

• 1 Replies
Won't test me
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »
So, I just got back from the doctor's office, and she said they won't test me for a hemoglobin disorder.  Well, at least not yet.

State Sickle Cell testing has determined that my brother and cousin's daughter have whatever it is (doc's said they think Beta Thal trait).  We won't know for about 2 months what my cousin's daughter has, or whether she has trait or disease.

But, anyway, I wanted whatever testing they do for State Sickle Cell, and she said she couldn't justify it to the insurance company to pay for the test b/c I wasn't African American and because I don't have any Mediterranian ancestors.  (This is also why my family's pediatrician told my mother to ignore my brother's results whenever she got them, which is why my family has no idea what exactly this hemoglobin disorder is).

I could understand that, BUT, I have an OBVIOUS family history of this trait.  The only thing she did concede is that she'll get me tested if I can bring her my brother's testing showing exactly what he has.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:13:08 PM by ker8 »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Won't test me
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »
I think you are going to have to show the doctor the results of your brother's test. If it shows that he is a minor or a sickle cell carrier, then there is every reason for all the other family members to be tested. Testing is far cheaper than paying for a lifetime of care for a major, so preventing this should justify the cost of the test.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk