Keep Smiling

• 3 Replies

Offline Keep Smiling

Keep Smiling
« on: November 04, 2009, 09:00:31 PM »
can any body tell me is thalassemia an inherited disease or can have other reasons also?
if my niece has thal intermedia then r both of its parents are thalassemia carrier or any one of them can be or no one of them is carrier?

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Re: Keep Smiling
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:32:26 AM »
for complete article : http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/heart/thalassemias.html#
Causes
Thalassemia is always inherited, passed on from parents to children through their genes. A child usually does not develop symptoms unless both parents carry a thalassemia gene.

If only one parent passes a gene for thalassemia on to the child, then the child is said to have thalassemia trait. Thalassemia trait will not develop into the full-blown disease, and no medical treatment is necessary.

Many families have thalassemia carriers, but the trait often goes undiagnosed because it produces no or few symptoms. Frequently, thalassemia is not diagnosed in a family until a baby is born with it. So if someone in your family carries a thalassemia gene, it's wise to have genetic counseling if you're thinking of having children.

At one time it was believed that the disease affected only people of Italian or Greek descent, but it's now known that many people with thalassemia also come from or are descended from Africa, Malaysia, China, and many parts of Southeast Asia.

Because of a recent pattern of migration from Southeast Asia, there has been an increase in the past decade of thalassemia in North America. Testing for thalassemia is generally recommended for anyone from Southeast Asia with unexplained anemia.

If your doctor determines that your child is at risk for thalassemia, prenatal tests can find out if your unborn child is affected.

Well, lack of time , so i didn't read the complete quote i have posted, but i thiink you'll find your answer in it ...
i have posted the link ( above the quote ) so you can acces complete articlle ...

Best Regards
Take care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:16:34 AM »
Hi,

Thalassemia is a genetic disorder,which means it is inherited from parents to children,if both parents are thalassemia carriers or thal minors,there is a 25% chance in every pregnancy that baby might inherit thal major,50% chance that baby will have thal minor,and 25% chance that baby will be normal,that is with out the trait.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Keep Smiling...

To know more about Thalassemia, you should really read the postings by Andy under "The Basics of Thalassemia".
The link is below :
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1575.0

I feel that anyone wanting to know about Thalassemia and what the prognosis is for their child or their loved one with thal should read it. They will be empowered to do the right thing for their child with this knowledge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk