thalassemia minor with normal ferritin and hipochromic and anisocytosis RBC

• 5 Replies

Offline lily_81

hi all, im so glad to find this site.
Here in my town, I never found anyone who is aware that he is thal minor, none to talk with
Please anyone provide me some info...
1. My Hb is 10.9 ; normal ferritin
   Thal minor is not always side by side by high ferritin? how can i be thal minor with normal ferritin?
2. My RBCs appear hipochromic and anisocytosis
   I have read some Andy's posts, stated that vitamin E help make blood thinner. My doctor also recommend     400mg Vit E daily. I am confused now, if my RBC are already thin and smaller than normal people, should i take vit E? how could vit E help me in this case
3. Two months ago, I have just lost my first baby-to-be. Since then, I start seeing doctors and looking for infos about thal minor. I just wish that miscarriage wont be repeated
Thank you for all

Offline Narendra

lily_81,

Welcome to the site. You might find this post of your interest as we have numerous thal minor moms talk about issues with pregnancy

Some of the posts talk about miscarriages too.

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=3041.0

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
lily_81,
 :welcome2 ,

Best regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Hi lily_81 ,

If the Hb isn't low (below the 9-9.5 range) there won't be much added iron absorption, so the ferritin shouldn't be high. For the most part, thal minor and iron issues are not related.

Small red blood cells will not create thin blood. In fact, the misshapen blood cells can tend to cause more barriers to normal blood flow. Vitamin E is a very important antioxidant and is regularly recommended with thalassemia. Deficiency is common, especially when thal is involved. The need for many nutrients increases with thal, even in minor.

A main reason miscarriages happen in some thal minors is a reduced flow of blood between the uterus and placenta due to the hypercoagulable state that exists in thalassemia, which is more commonly found in intermedia and major, but does also become a problem for many thal minors during pregnancy. Vitamin E can help keep the blood thinner, promoting the proper flow of blood. Sometimes, one baby aspirin per day will be advised by the doctor during pregnancy.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline lily_81

narendra, nice friend,
thank you so much..  :hugfriend

andy,
thank you so much for the complete info. how could you know so much about thal?  :huh
please keep up this site, dont know what to do without this site
GBU and ur fam

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Hi Lily,

I have studied thalassemia extensively over the past 7 years and have attended several conferences and symposiums in order to learn more fom the top thal doctors on earth. Being dedicated has its rewards.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk