3 year old son

• 3 Replies

Offline judyp

3 year old son
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »
my adopted 3 year old has alpha minor thal...he has been with us since he was 10 months old and we have gone through and are still going through major sleep and eating issues....when he was 2 years old i insisted on blood work...it came back that he was anemic and was put on iron supplements(!!!!!)  although the doctors said there was nothing else wrong with him i insisted on further testing since 2 months into supplementation and there was no change in his iron levels......and yes.....he does have it..the hemotologist took him off of the iron immediately...and said there are no symptoms ...but my son sleeps erratically and restlessly...sometimes 4-5 hours at night...and not a good eater...i make sure he gets his nutrients through milkshakes that i make...i was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone?...

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: 3 year old son
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »
Hi Judy,

Although alpha thal minor also supposedly has no symptoms, we have been hearing from those who do observe some symptoms. Folic acid supplements are absolutely essential and unlike iron, may actually help the Hb level a bit, as folic acid is key to building red blood cells. Fava beans cannot be eaten as they can cause hemolytic crisis. There is a list of things to avoid in our post at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=3109.msg31087#msg31087

Try avoiding any products that contain any beans, including soy, to see if his appetite improves. If it does, you will know that beans in general are causing some issues. Keep in mind that iron supplements may be a reason his stomach has bothered him as they will cause cramps and bloating.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline judyp

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:22:37 PM »
thx andy..yes, i ordered folic acid supplements (800mcg) and will start them soon..i give him a children's multi in his healthshake that i make that includes skim milk, oats, fruit, vegetables, and whey....he was taken off the iron over a year ago, thank goodness....thx for your most valued input...

Offline Prets

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »
Erratic sleep... something I am very familiar with.

I take a supplement of Melatonin, and it helps a lot. Most of the time, it is discomfort, ill health, pain, etc  that disturbs my sleep, at other times, the melatonin helps me.

I suffered some kind of sleep disorder for several years, coupled with nightmares that are referred to as hallucinations in sleep. (I dont remember the exact word for it).

What is important to note is that - we need sound sleep (deep sleep)  at night to function well during the day.

Lying in bed sleeping even for 16 hours at a stretch, does not always mean the sleep is 'sound'.  As a result, even after that I used to want to sleep all the time. If i was awake i would be restless and not know why.

Little kids usually cannot express such problems well enough.

Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk