Blood Transusion volume

• 5 Replies
Blood Transusion volume
« on: January 07, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »
Hi,
I just wanted to know that what does this hemocrit goal says in the Formulas of use in Blood Transfusion

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Blood Transusion volume
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:52:07 PM »
Hi fizante and welcome to the site

What i understand from your question is that you want to know how the quantity transfused blood affect the increase in hematocrit, hope i am right

Any way according to the link below
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/112303855/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

The average increase in hematocrit per liter of packed red blood cells transfused was 6.4% ± 4.1%. If 1 unit of packed red blood cells is approximately 300 mL, this becomes a change of hematocrit of 1.9% ± 1.2% per unit of blood.

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:21:51 PM »
Hi Fizante,

Your email made your question clearer. Each unit will raise the Hb about one point. Your child currently is around 7. It would take 3 units to get up to around 10, which is a safe level. With thalassemia, it is seldom desired to go much higher than the 11-12 range with the Hb level. More emphasis is placed on pre-transfusion level. If the child is a thal major, then pre-transfusion Hb should not drop below 9. If the child is thal intermedia, the Hb level is allowed to drop into the range around 7 before transfusing. With intermedia, the desired Hb level is on a case by case basis.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 03:13:45 AM by Andy »
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:31:37 AM »
Thanks Andy & Manal for your valuable replies. It was useful & I really appreciate them

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:24:38 PM »
I am considering no longer responding to questions like this that come as personal messages or emails when they are simply general information questions that should be posed as questions to this group, so that ALL can benefit from the answers. It's not fair to monopolize my time this way when no one else can benefit from the answer.

Anyway, this came as a PM. I have no idea why it was a PM. I'm not even sure why anyone would ask these questions, as the answers are not the same for transfusion of thalassemics as they are for someone getting a one-time transfusion.

In the Quick Formula to Approximate Volume of Red Cells for Transfusion, it says:

Transfusion volume = [Total Blood Volume X (Hcrit goal - Hcrit pre Tx)]/ Hcrit of Donor Unit

Can you describe from where this "Hcrit goal" comes from & the Hcrit of Donor Unit.

Does the Hcrit goal mean that it is the normal range that a Hcrit of a person should be?

And

Does the Hcrit of Donor Unit mean that it is the average a PRBC Hcrit, a donor should have?

Can you please explain this?

Hematocrit of the donor unit is exactly that. It is the measured hematocrit of the specific donor's blood. Hematocrit goal for someone suffering blood loss would be close to normal (12-14 Hb range), but for a thalassemic, it is usually less. More emphasis is placed on pre-transfusion hematocrit, but the goal may be anywhere in the 10-12 Hb range (30-36 hematocrit).

Class dismissed.
Andy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »
I can't help but think that if these questions are on behalf of a patient, that the wrong questions are being asked here. These formulas are simply formulas and actually have very little relevance for an individual patient. Treatment programs should be based on the needs of each individual patient and not based on a formula that is meant for those who will not be undergoing regular transfusions. There are variables in this formula and the variables alter the results with each patient. There is no fixed Hb level that a thal patient should be trying to attain, as this level changes rapidly. It is far more important to be looking at pre-transfusion Hb and making sure it does not drop below 9.

It is much better to explain the situation when asking for advice. Asking question after question about formulas does little for the patient. Explaining the patient's situation in total would bring much more useful replies.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk