dry skin and thin hair

• 1 Replies
dry skin and thin hair
« on: January 27, 2010, 06:02:36 AM »
Does thinning hair and dry skin go along with Thalassemia Minor.  I was diagnosed with Thalassemia Minor in my mid 30s and am 67 now.  I have had both dry skin and thin hair for years.  I nomrally have tested about 11 or 12.  But, was recently found to be 6 and was put on iron. 
Was sent for gastric tests and have huge hiatal hernia and ulcers.  Was sleeping 12 or more hours every day when normal for me is about 7.  I was also very short of breath.  Was put on iron and sleeping normally now and don't feel short of breath anymore.  I was also pretty dizzy or felt faint quite a bit, and that is a bit better.  But, I got to wondereing if thin hair was a symptom of Thalassemia.  My sister also hase thin hair, but has never tested anemic. 

The only other family members who I know of who have this are two olders cousins.  My grandfather and thier grandmother were siblings, and their grandfather was my grandmothers uncle.  And, I have one first cousin who has Thalassemia Minor. At least one of the olders cousins has had to have transfusions.  Our family does not appear to be of Mediteranian descent.  But, did live in Appalachia in the mid 1800's.  And, I've heard that pockets of it have been found their.

Nadine

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: dry skin and thin hair
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:53:17 AM »
Hi Nadine,

This is a common complaint in thal minors and more so as they get older. Thinning hair and dry skin can be related to many other issues also, so it may be that it's thal minor along with something like zinc or iron deficiency, vitamin A and possibly D deficiency, under active thyroid, hormonal changes brought on by aging, to name some.

Your iron deficiency is likely related to blood loss from the ulcers and hopefully, can be resolved with treatment of the ulcers, so the iron supplementation may be temporary.

Thalassemia has followed migration patterns and appears to be spread around the world by explorers, soldiers, merchants, traders, sailors and anyone who traveled from the Mediterranean area. This spread it through Asia and Europe to a lesser degree, and was originally brought to the US by predominantly Italian and Greek immigrants. The coal mines of Appalachia drew many Italian immigrants, which would be the most likely source of the thal genes found in that area.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk