Should I get my husband tested?

• 2 Replies
Should I get my husband tested?
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:12:42 PM »
I've been debating whether my husband needs to be tested for thal or not as we are considering having children in a year or so.  I have checked on his background and he is German, German Russian, Norwegian, French, Dutch, Scottish, and Irish.  As far as I know none of these countries have thal?  He also was in the military and has never had any abnormal blood tests.  I really doubt he could have thal, but I still worry.  What would you do? (I am thal minor)

Thanks!
Crissy

Re: Should I get my husband tested?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:11:52 AM »
Hi,

There is absolutely no harm in testing. It says in North America "Better safe than sorry". A few drops of blood to get tested would not hurt and would give complete peace of mind. Also, being in the army or the background does not mean one does not carry the thal gene. In army, they only check the Hg, which is not an alternate to electrophesis or other genetic tests in thalassemia.

I also would add, not just thal but you should consider complete genetic testing for both of you to eliminate other genetic disorders. It is mandatory in most countries and always a good idea.

Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Should I get my husband tested?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 12:24:50 AM »
I agree. No matter how small the chance of him being a carrier, why chance it? A simple hemoglobin electrophoresis will verify if he is not a carrier.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk