Love across troubled borders...

• 14 Replies

Offline Madhavi

• Mohanish....a divine blessing!
Love across troubled borders...
« on: February 07, 2010, 05:08:43 PM »
Hello everyone...
This one is especially for my friends in Pakistan...
Just saw one of the umpteen movies that shows cross-border hatred...and so was prompted to write in here...
My first ever interaction with anyone from Pakistan happened here on this forum...it did not matter what our names were or which country we belonged to, to be honest...
There are humans with humane stories either side of the border...what is such a big difference and what is all that pseudo hatred all about?
I just want to let you all know that I am so glad to be friends with you all and so happy that this forum has given me a chance to meet you all...
I wish all our countrymen would understand and appreciate how much love we have to share...
Of course it is not just limited to 2 countries...when a thal gene is enough to get us all together from all over the world to share our woes and joys...and yet the world is somehow eager to have biological warfare to say the least!
May the love that this forum bears overflow into the world...
Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Love across troubled borders...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 07:24:20 PM »
 :agree

Madhavi,

That was beautiful  :hugfriend :hugfriend 
Along with being a wonderful mom, you are a lovely person. 

Love,

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Madhavi

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 01:29:35 AM »
Thanks Sharmin....
Being here and interacting with you all changes one for better and one discovers how much goodness we have to share within...
Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline Lena

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 07:12:35 AM »

I have just read a novel by Anton Tscheckov and I would like to quote this:

"our goal  in this life is not to pursue  our personal happiness. It is in pursuing and practising Good."

Do you agree with that?

<Andy, you don't have to answer as you have already proven your point with this site.>

Lena.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 07:58:34 PM »
I have just read a novel by Anton Tscheckov and I would like to quote this:

"our goal  in this life is not to pursue  our personal happiness. It is in pursuing and practising Good."

Do you agree with that?

<Andy, you don't have to answer as you have already proven your point with this site.>

Lena.

Lena,

I do agree, perhaps I would say that our goal in life is to practice, and to pursue happiness....:):) 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:26:58 AM »
Madhavi,

Thanks a lot for understanding,My first interaction with Indians was also through this site,And i got friends like you,Sharmin,Sahil,Angela and a lot of others,the hatred is mostly propagated by govts for their own good,and for other enemies who don't wanna see these regions stable,and a small fraction of people on both sides who need to get their heads checked.Majority of our populations have way severe problems of their own,they are not interested in waging wars and spreading hatred.We have children who need education,diseases which need cure and moms who need not to be dead while giving life to another human being,I hope our govts will understand that one day,that arms and ammunition doesn't do anything other then destructing everything,and we need construction,not destruction.

Love,

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Fadd

• Fadd
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »
Of course it is not just limited to 2 countries...when a thal gene is enough to get us all together from all over the world to share our woes and joys...and yet the world is somehow eager to have biological warfare to say the least!
May the love that this forum bears overflow into the world...
Madhavi

When there is a same cause it brings the people of same mindsets at the same spot borders don't matter.
The first time I had an interaction with any Indian was when I was too young, when I had to get addmitted in the hospital in KSA for the transfusions. There were many Indian nurses there which always made me fell at home. (Due to the same language comfort and care :)).
We also had two neighbours there then and they all were a real feast.

I totally agree to Zaini that there is only a small fraction of extremists who could be held responsible for the devastating conditions and deforming the relations, moreover the Govts. also have some of their concerns.

Fouad
Fadd

Offline Dori

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 06:51:39 PM »
Every program I watch which goes about people everywhere I always have one thought. We humans are all the same and have the same wishes and dreams for us and our family and for everyone in this world.<>Looove<>

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 10:42:02 PM »
I am brought back to this thread by yesterday's bombing in Pune, a city that is very dear to me. Pune was the site of the very first thalassemia conference that I attended. Pune is the home of my dearest friend, Shilpa and her lovely family. This bakery that was bombed was across the street from the place I bought my first meal in Pune and was also a place where Shilpa stops for coffee. Close to the Osho compound, this area is quite popular with westerners, who may have been a target of this attack. With the attacks on the Taj hotel in Mumbai and a bombing at a market in Delhi, three places I have visited in India have been the targets of terrorism.

I hesitated to respond to this thread earlier because I have talked to too many people from this group from both India and Pakistan who have an abject hatred for those across their borders. This issue nearly tore this group apart a few years ago, and I have found that in spite of our good words and efforts, we are not even getting through to many who are members of our own group. Just a few weeks ago I saw one member post accusations against India on Facebook. This troubled me greatly.

How are we going to ever make any difference in the world when we allow hatred and fear rule our own beliefs? It is quite obvious from our day-to-day communications that we do all respect each other here, but that should not end when we are away from these pages. When someone from Pakistan expresses hatred for Indians or when one from India expresses hatred for Pakistanis, is there a realization that the hatred expressed automatically includes people they interact with right here? This really needs to change.

When people tell me that all Muslims want to kill me, all I can think of is sweet little Akka. Really? Akka wants to see me dead? Of course not, but this is the idiocy of being absorbed by hatred. When someone from India wants to blame all Indians, do they really think that sweetie, Simran wants them dead?

I am asking each one of you to stop before ever expressing feelings of hatred towards a people and just ask themselves. Do you really think so-and-so from thalpal wants to see you and your family murdered? Do you really think the average person from either country is absorbed with this violence? What I always see is that everyone is just trying to live their own lives. Please, don't ever make or even think these generalized thoughts of hatred that are based on borders. We are all people who are trying to do our best in life. If you're from India and you know Ayesha, Zaini and Umair, see them in every single face in Pakistan. When you are from Pakistan and you know Shilpa or Simran or Neeti, think of them before you decide to let those thoughts of blame form in your mind. We won't change the world but we can change ourselves.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 11:54:01 PM »
That was beautiful Andy.  I hope that people know that it is our selfish leaders who are to blame - not the innocent people on either side of the border.  My parents are from India - making me Indian - and some of my closest friends and well wishers are Pakistani.  When I am having a tough time I look to my Pakistani friends here to support me and pray for me - just as I pray for them.  What would I do if I didn't message Zaini when I was worried?  Or if I didn't communicate with so many of my other friends here?  My son has the privilege of learning from all of you here.  I hope that we can teach him to see beyond these differences.   In so many ways, I have more in common with people across the world than I do with my next door neighbor here in Canada.  Hating people just like us - who support us everyday is ridiculous and it is wrong. 

Thanks again Andy,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Lena

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 07:27:09 AM »
Very well put, Andy.
I think the idea is to escape fanaticism that governments do tend to spread to their people. And fanaticism can be induced for many reasons: religion, borders, markets and so on. We have a similar thing going on here with the Turks. We have suffered (and still do) by a long-term contradiction with the Turks and I don't think this will ever cease to be the case. Of course, whenever we travel across the border to Istanbul let's say, we find out Turks are people like us. Our similarities are many, especially in temperament as we are neigbours in the same district and our music, for one thing, is based on the same musical routes.  We, however, often experience problems as their government sends their air force to violate our air borders and we are so often terrified that a war will start in our region. This, in turn, creates the hatred between us that lasts for ever. So, I agree but  it is also one thing to  see others differently and try to change and another to endure aggressive governments whom you cannot handle. Same goes for Muslims: it seems the USA government always finds a reason -real or non-real- to control things around the world and if this means invasion and occupation of other countries it does not matter to them. And what about people? the working American? they follow their government steps because politics always finds its way to the people's minds.So, we have another kind of "hatred" here, that of the anti-american.
I really wish more Americans shared your opinion on things but I know they are not....

Lena

Offline Dori

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
Lena, I got European Law this semester. We have learnt that the only real benefit of the European Union is that they are no wars. Most of the students do not believe this, but your post can teach those students that they might be wrong. I dont want to discuss more about it. But I do believe I had to write about this. It doenst matter which country you talk about, there is a lot of anger but the plaster is always the EU.

Well written Andy

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »
You are right Andy,if we start raising our voices against our corrupt leaders and try to change our own selves rather then blaming the system,there won't be any bombings in Pune or Mumbai or Karachi,innocent people die in these bombings and i won't ever wish this kind of grief for my worst enemy,let alone innocent human beings who are working hard to make their ends meet,be it in Pakistan or India.

I have found great friends through this site,and their nationality doesn't make any difference to me,Sharmin is  one of those people i look forward to when i am in confusion,her posts are always full of wisdom,Madhavi and me hit it like we were friends forever,so it doesn't matter from where we belong,we are all human beings and we are equal.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Madhavi

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 03:09:01 PM »
Hmmmm....just some stray thoughts after all the posts...

Blood...
Supplement for a thal,
Thirst for a terrorist,
Evidence for a cop,
Sample to a pathologist...

Life...
Joy as a baby,
Gift if after a cure,
A prey for those out to hunt,
Maimed, tough to endure...

Death...
Tears in loss,
Still bodies in news,
A vacuum in remembrance...
Politically a birth of many issues...

Wars...
Stories for media,
History for the future,
So much more than description for those in it...
A tragedy of a serious nature...

Love...
A treatment, a therapy, A nectar of life...
Religion forever I hope...
Practice universale I wish...
Preach it harder, oh Maulvi, oh Pundit, oh Pope!

Love and luck to all...

Offline Fadd

• Fadd
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »
Its really very poetic Madhavi.

Fouad
Fadd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk