• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    April 20, 2021, 07:49:00 PM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andythalpal@yahoo.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal thalpal.com Ā© A. Battaglia 2021

55463 Posts in 5940 Topics by 6278 Members
Latest Member: PuntaLanza

A message for all  parents who are thals. Keeping your iron load under control is an absolute obligation to your children.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thal Minor, Hypoglycemia or something else?  (Read 3722 times)
SandsofTime

« on: February 09, 2010, 07:09:49 AM »

Hello everyone
I have known my Thal minor since I was 16 and got diagnosed after having bouts of fatigue. Lately, I checked my Hemoglobin and its pretty good - 14.5 in a reference range of 13.2-16.2. Luckily, I have delta beta trait which switches on production of HBf and improves the overall levels. I have Hbf level of 20%, with much of the rest occupied by HBA1. But I still can't shake off feeling fatigued easily. First I thought it was lack of exercise, so went to gym and swimming for sometime. Exercise made things worse, even if done for only thirty minutes. I become completely drained, disoriented, nauseated, and trembling. Tried taking sports drink only to find it making nausea worse. Only a nap for an hour or so would do the trick to get back to normal. For sometime, I resorted to drinking protein shakes for weight training, which made things much better after about 20 mins of intake.

Any ideas why a protein shake helps rather than a sports drink with glucose? Does this provide any leads I should investigate? Somehow I don't think its the thal trait since my HB levels are good. I have a normal diet and avoid sugary stuff, coffee etc. Despite being skinny, I eat more than my share compared with others of larger body mass.

Thanks
SandsofTime
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: