Question about what kind of Thalassemia

• 1 Replies
Question about what kind of Thalassemia
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:57:53 PM »
I've known I had Thalassemia since I've been about 13, but recently my wife and I decided we want to have kids so we had her tested.  We eventually had her take the DNA test and she came up as an Alpha Thalassemia Silent Carrier.  

I don't know what kind of Thalassemia I have, but will post my eletrophoresis results and blood results to see if you can determine what kind I am.

Hemoglobin A - 93.1
Hemoglobin F - 1.0
Hemoglobin A2 - 5.9
Hemoglobin C - 0
Hemoglobin S - 0
Hemoglobin Variant - 0

Here are my blood test results:

RBC - 6.05
Hemaglobin -11.8
Hematocrit - 36.9
MCV - 60.9
MCH - 19.5
MCHC - 32

From what I read online, it looks like I have Beta Thalassemia.  Also, from the responses I've read here, if my wife is a silent Alpha, and I am a Beta, we would be able to have children without any issues correct?  Thanks for the responses!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Questio about what kind of Thalassemia
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »
Hi Ryan,

Your results do look like beta thal minor. This means that one of your two beta globin genes is affected. Your wife is a silent alpha carrier. This means that one out of her four alpha globin genes is affected. There is no danger of having any major form of thalassemia when alpha and beta carriers have children. However, because alpha thalassemia carrier status often cannot be verified without a DNA analysis, it is advisable to have this done to ensure that you are not also an alpha thal carrier. Most alpha thal carriers are not aware of their carrier status because there is little if any physical manifestation and it does not readily show up in the hemoglobin electrophoresis test that is commonly done to test for hemoglobinopathies. So the DNA analysis is recommended to rule out your own alpha thal carrier status before having children.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk