Hi

• 4 Replies
Hi
« on: April 15, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »
Hi,
I'm Farjana from Bangladesh, It's in South Asia. I'm 34 years old and just have diagnosed as a Thal minor patient. I have no Idea about this disease. My Hb level was decreasing in every three months, iron supplements also didn't work. An electrophoresis done in 2007 and the result was Hb A- 76, Hb E- 20.6, Hb A(2) - 3.4 , ferritin test shows 19.52ng/ml, and then the hematologist said that I'm a normal person. Recently I gave birth to a baby boy , I needed one bag blood during C section as I had Hb- 9.8gm/dl. But still after more than 5 months My hb level is 8.8. So, my gynecologist thinking that I'm a thal patient. Am I really a patient of Thal minor?.

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:33:53 PM »
Hello!
I have been diagnosed for 35 of my 49 years.  Until I found this site, I felt very lost, even after all these years.  I am just here to encourage you that you will get help here.  I have been obsessing on reading everything on thalpal am so impressed.  I wish you the very best.  I too have a son, which I was told would never happen.  He is now 27 and healthy.  You are very lucky to have this source I didn't.
Take care,
OldThalGal

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 03:47:51 AM »
Hi Farjana & OldThalGal ,
 :welcome2 .. welcome to the family... i hope both  of you wil find this forum real useful and inform .. hope that you'll find the answer of ur concerncs n question .. all the best :) .. have a nice time here  :) ..

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:57:42 PM »
Hi Farjana,

You are not a beta thal minor. You are a hemoglobin E (HbE) carrier. This is extremely common in Bangladesh. Your electrophoresis results would be very different if you also carried beta thal. However, if the electrophoresis is accurate, you may also be an alpha thalassemia carrier. A repeat of the hemoglobin electrophoresis could verify this. Normally, an HbE carrier will show at least 30% HbE, unless alpha thal carrier status is also present. Alpha thal trait and HbE are also commonly found in the same areas of the world, making it more likely that this is possible. Iron deficiency can also lower the HbE percentage, but you did not respond to iron therapy, so this leaves things somewhat clouded. A panel of tests called iron studies would measure ferritin but also other indicators of iron status, so it may be advisable to have this done first, to make sure it is not iron deficiency. If iron deficiency can be totally ruled out, then it may be necessary to look at your alpha gene status, which can only be done through a DNA analysis. While some alpha deletions will reduce the severity of HbE anemia, triplicated or quadruplicated {alpha}-globin genes increase the severity of E-thalassemia. Normally, HbE carriers have no symptoms at all, so it does appear that there may be more than HbE at work here. My suggestion would be the iron panel and then a DNA analysis, if possible. I am not certain this can be done in Bangaldesh, but if necessary, I can contact Dr Robin in Dhaka about this.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:05:53 AM »
Thanks a lot, Andy. So, I'm going to repeat those tests again. If it is possible, please Tell me how I can contact Dr. Robin or, you also may contact him, because there is a lot of diagnostic centers here and I don't know which one is the best.  I got different results from these centers.

This is really a very helpful Website. All the best!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:15:33 AM by farjana »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk