Beta thal minor from the Netherlands

• 8 Replies

Offline Imken

• OSCAR Nederland
Beta thal minor from the Netherlands
« on: April 17, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »
Hi all,  :hithere

I will introduce myself, totally forgotten  :blush
I am a 36 year old woman from the Netherlands with beta thal minor. I got this gene from my mother, who was born in Indonesia. My 5 year old son also has thal minor. Most of my family members are minors, but a lot without any complaints. Only 1 aunt and myself have low Hb levels and I have arthritis in my knees. My aunt suffered also with joint-pains, but she also has reumatoide arthritis.
My son has a low Hb level as well. Currently I am pregnant with my second child, who will be born in the beginning of octobre.
I work at a general practitionors office and due to my work I also am knowledged with different medications, blood values and a variety of health issues. I advice people every working day about there health and meds.

Since 2004 I am an active member for OSCAR Netherlands, the patiént organization in the Netherlands (www.oscarnederland.nl). In 2011 I will participate as board member for OSCAR.

If you want to know more, feel free to ask.  :smiley
Imken

Take good care of yourself

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Beta thal minor from the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
Imken,

It is very interesting and encouraging that a thal minor is accepted as part of OSCAR. Most doctors and thal organizations totally ignore the problems of thal minors, even during pregnancy, so I find this a positive development. I look forward to hearing more from you in regards to what is needed for a healthy pregnancy in thal minors. This is a constant topic in this group and your experience can be very helpful to others.

:welcome2
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 03:15:17 AM »
Hi Imken ,
How r u ?? .. :welcome2 , its nice to have u here .. i hope that u will find this forum realy informative ... i hope you'll find here all the answer of ur concerns and questions .. so ,  feel free to ask or share watever u wana know abt or watever u wana share , dont hesitate to post ur questions  ,... i hope to hear more from u in future .. keep posting and take good care of ur self ...

Best Regards
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
Hey!! :) She was also in the delegation who went to Berlin :) I didn't know most thal minors wouldnt have such places like she has. Strange.

However, since she isn't going to ask a question I will do. Until which hgb level can pregnant woman with thal minor before they should have a blood transfusion?

Dori

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:06:57 AM »
Dore,

I am not a doctor,but i think if hb goes below 8,A pregnant thal minor should be transfused.

And Imken, Welcome on the forum :welcomewagon .

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:23:14 AM »
My question was wrong because I should have typed iron infusion.
Imken is tired but slowely started to have more energy and feeling better - jippy!

Offline Prets

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:49:55 PM »
hello IMKEN,

I wish you all the best!

:smiley
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline Imken

• OSCAR Nederland
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 06:00:37 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Dori helped me à lot when I was feeling so terrible and during my hospitalisation. So thank you Dori. Feeling à bit better now. :)
Imken

Take good care of yourself

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
 :thumbup

No thanks :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk