Blood test results. Should I be worried?

• 1 Replies
Blood test results. Should I be worried?
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »
I found some old blood tests of mine from about a year ago. The doctor just told me to take some folic acid and left it to that. He didnt seem worried.
But after supplementation of folic acid I still feel quite weak. Also worth mentioning that I also have G6PD enzyme deficiency.
You think I should ask my doctor for another test? What specific tests do you think I should be asking?

Here are my results:

Hemoglobin: 11.5
Hemotocrit: 35.2 (Normal Range 40-52)
MCV: 63.1 (Normal Range 80-99)
MCH: 20.6 (Normal Range 27-34)
MCHC 32.7 (Normal Range 31-35)
RDW 21,3 (Normal Range 11.6-17.5)

Hematocrit measures the percentage of red blood cells in a given volume of whole blood.

Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) is a measurement of the average size of your RBCs. The MCV is elevated when your RBCs are larger than normal (macrocytic), for example in anemia caused by vitamin B12 deficiency. When the MCV is decreased, your RBCs are smaller than normal (microcytic) as is seen in iron deficiency anemia or thalassemias.

Mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH) is a calculation of the average amount of oxygen-carrying hemoglobin inside a red blood cell. Macrocytic RBCs are large so tend to have a higher MCH, while microcytic red cells would have a lower value.

Mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC) is a calculation of the average concentration of hemoglobin inside a red cell. Decreased MCHC values (hypochromia) are seen in conditions where the hemoglobin is abnormally diluted inside the red cells, such as in iron deficiency anemia and in thalassemia. Increased MCHC values (hyperchromia) are seen in conditions where the hemoglobin is abnormally concentrated inside the red cells, such as in burn patients and hereditary spherocytosis, a relatively rare congenital disorder.

Red cell distribution width (RDW) is a calculation of the variation in the size of your RBCs. In some anemias, such as pernicious anemia, the amount of variation (anisocytosis) in RBC size (along with variation in shape – poikilocytosis) causes an increase in the RDW.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:34:41 PM by karoloydi »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Blood test results. Should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:10:37 AM »
You may already be aware of this, but you should avoid exposure to malaria medications, anti-itching drugs, and fava beans, as these can all set off hemolysis which will lower your hemoglobin level noticeably. I would think exposure to chemicals like benzene and naphthalene should also be avoided.

Your blood works looks pretty typical for thal minor and your Hb is just under normal. Supplements like B complex, natural vitamin E and magnesium may all help the health and production of red blood cells, and if you feel tired a lot, you may want to have your vitamin D level checked. Deficiency is widely common and doctors are discovering that it takes very high doses to correct. Deficiency can lead to tiredness, fatigue and depression. If a test shows a level below 30, supplementation or a vitamin D shot will be needed. It makes a huge difference.

I don't think further testing for thal minor is needed, but you may want to have your hemoglobin level checked once a year to make sure you are staying at a stable level. Do you have two gene G6PD deficiency?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk