Fevers

• 6 Replies

Offline Katias Mummy

Fevers
« on: June 29, 2010, 03:57:02 AM »
My toddler with thal intermedia has been having constant fevers lately of approx 38 degrees Celcius, not many other symptoms apart from the odd cough. Is this normal or has anyone else experienced this as I am not sure if I should be worried or not.

Offline maha

Re: Fevers
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »
Before my son was diagnosed he kept getting a temperature (37.5 - 38), without any apparent infection. The doctor had later explained it as heat from hemolysis. After that each time his hb dropped below 6 he would have a slight temperature. Have you checked her hb lately?

maha

Offline Katias Mummy

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 06:56:44 AM »
Got her Hb checked afew weeks ago and it was down to 6.1. I think it was so low as she was sick at the time.

Offline maha

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 02:06:16 PM »
I feel you should check if her hb has caught up or dropped further. Wishing your little one all the very best.

maha

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 08:05:51 PM »

I do not know the answer to this but my daughter gets fever quite easily. It can last some days but it is not constantly. I agree that you should check her hb now. Fever makes the hb fall, that is our experience.
Best wishes to your daughter and a big  :hugfriend to you!

Offline Katias Mummy

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »
Thanks for your advice. On other note, she has a really really  big belly that sticks out alot in the last week. Could this be because of her spleen?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
The big belly usually is the result of an enlarged spleen, and this will happen more at low Hb levels, as the spleen filters out the red blood cells. If the Hb is raised through transfusion, the body makes fewer red cells of its own, so the spleen filters out fewer red cells and shrinks in size.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk