Thalassemia & Growth !? ??

• 7 Replies
Thalassemia & Growth !? ??
« on: September 01, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
Hello every1,

Does Thalassemia affect Height ? in any possible way ?!!?

What do u say ?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thalassemia & Growth !? ??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:57:31 AM »
Yes, thalassemia does affect normal growth, but closer to normal growth can occur if hemoglobin levels are always kept high enough and compliance with chelation is maintained. Replacing the vitamins and minerals depleted by thal are also important for normal growth.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Bobby

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:09:06 AM »
When I was younger my Hgb stayed around a 7, any lower and I was transfused. I may have had 5 - 7 transfusions. I was always the smallest in my class too, but in 9th grade i started playing basketball and had a growth spurt. I made it to 6ft by high school graduation and 6ft 2.5inches my first year in college. I am the tallest person in my family. My sister is a Thal minor and she is 5ft 10inches.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
I knew something was not right !

- I'll be 20 in 2 months and I'm only 5'7 I haven't grown in about 4.5 - 5 years !!!

Is there anything I can do ? I heard it's possible to grow untill you are 21, if fix things perhaps it'll work !? what can I do ??

Andy :- " if hemoglobin levels are always kept high enough and compliance with chelation is maintained. Replacing the vitamins and minerals " How can I attain this ?!

Bobby :- are you saying blood transfusion helped u attain height ? what thal do you have minor or major ?

Offline eesha

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:08:42 PM »
Zaltan u think ur short at 5'7! think again!

Im 25 and only 5ft i look half my age, i have cause to be upset! if i was ur height id be jumping thorugh hula hoops! that height is perfectly normal

Offline Moik

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:47:54 PM »
Im 5'7.5 but was in the shortest category all through school

I only weigh about 130 also

I was always worried I didnt weigh enough
doc says im lean and im mean though!

My father is thal minor and hes 5'10 or so

i think i just got the shortness from my mom

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:03:45 PM »
There is a huge difference in the effects of thalassemia between major and minor. Most majors have had some impaired growth, although with current treatment programs, this can be minimized. Thals in the past did not have this advantage. I know many thal majors who are below 5 feet in height. Minor may, in some instances affect growth, but not to the same degree as with major. One must also keep in mind that genetics plays a big role and if you are from a background of short people, you can't expect to be tall. Good nutrition can help with growth but don't expect miracles. Most height is gained by the mid teens. After that, there is little that can alter this.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 11:06:23 PM »
Zaltan ,
its my dream to attain 5.7 , atleast 5.7 ...  you lucky boy ..

Bobby and Zaltan,
thal  boys with normal i usualy call them "Lucky Thals" .. and you guys are Lucky Thals who got the right height ... anyways, according to some thal friends on this site i still have 1 year to grow height as i'll b 24 years old this January ( 1 year and 7 inches to grow :( seems impossible :'( ) ....

Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk