hair loss

• 7 Replies

Offline eesha

hair loss
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
any thals out there that have hair loss, and can you tell me any treatments.

My hair is practically gone is so thin and you can see bold patches. i can hide it as i wear a scarf, but its not good. ive seen a dermatolgosist who did checks and said my hormones were ok he could not find a cause.

want to know if anyone else has this problem and what they do?

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Re: hair loss
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:50:28 PM »
Eesha,
Signs of zinc deficiency include hair loss,
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline thalfriend

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »
Eesha,

Have you had the iron studies done that Andy speaks of, like ferritin, TIBC, iron saturation, etc.?

I have been very low on my iron stores and am having iron studies every three or four months; since using and iron supplement with Vit. C and B vitamins, I have noticed a small amount of hair growth that is consistent with my ferritin levels coming up a bit. 

I know that Andy feels very strongly that using iron could potentially be harmful if your body is not actually deficient, and/or if you are t-minor, intermedia or major matters too whether or not it would be safe, so you need medical consultation before you use any iron to determine if you are truly iron deficient.

My progress is being monitered, and I still do not know for certain what the cause of my anemia is and whether it is related to underlying causes of fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome.  I have noticed very small changes like not getting quite as winded when climbing up a stairwell, for example.

Also, thyroid studies would be very important like T3, T4, free T4, TSH, and also to be tested for auto-immune thyroid illness.  It so happens that I am being treated for hypothyroidism as well, and whether or not it is related to the possibility of hormonal imbalances in thal. minor [has not been studied in enough controlled studies] is unknown.

Regarding this, I am on a protocol for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome that recognizes thyroid and other hormones in the body may be deficient and/or out of balance without evidence on a blood test and therefore the doctor must be trained/knowledgeable about making a clinical diagnoses and/or other types of hormone testing like saliva testing.

Many labs, at least in the US, set up laboratory ranges that may not represent all of the population that could be hormone deficient, and getting a doctor that recognizes this may not always be easy.
Other hormones in the body fluctuate throughout a given day/month, and sometimes, the time of day for anyone, or time of month for a woman, for example, can give an unreliable result. 

Be encouraged though, because even though it has taken years of trial and error, I did find a physician in my area that can help with this, and depending on your particular medical history, there could be any number of causes of your hair loss!!  I am 48 now, and my hair loss started gradually in my later 20's [though it is very sad to go so long without, help, maybe you won't have to... :smiley].

Hang in there!!!  I will keep you guys posted if a substantial amount of hair regrowth occurs, but the problem evolved over years, and it is going to take awhile to see...

Offline Prets

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
I posted on hair loss somewhere on the forums, but I cant find it.  :-( Will post it again as soon as I do.
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:47:02 AM »
Hi eesha
    don't worry me and Andy also have bold head  :rotfl  .......
  Any way .. some times thers a kind of bacteria cause loosing the hiar or sometimes maybe that coming from your family (father mother uncels grand fathers ) let the Dr take small a mount from the skin of your head to do a culture maybe it's kind of bacteria or kind of viruse that kill the rootes of the hair ...

khalifa
                                             state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:00:47 PM »
I am taking finasteride and using nizoral shampoo. It stopped hairloss completely for me. But didnt grow back more hair unfortunately.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »
Hi Karoloydi,

How long have you been using Finasteride and were their any side effects. What is the dosage you are taking.
Regards.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »
Drink plenty of water. Dehydration can cause this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk