Hot flashes... flashing

• 4 Replies
Hot flashes... flashing
« on: September 17, 2010, 03:46:57 AM »
Hey everybody! I have a question about "hot flashes" I read another topic thread and was a bit confused. It seems like everyone is pretty much hot all of the time... but I actually "flash hot and cold" like crazy. I am either one way or another but it always changes. I was wondering if that is part of thal... I am only 21 so it shouldn't be menopausal!?

Offline Moik

Re: Hot flashes... flashing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:15:34 PM »
I had periods of a couple months were I would have hot and cold flashes..never got to the bottom of it

But with the way things were going I chalk it up to either anxiety or alcohol withdrawal

I still feel hot easily though

I have read some allergies can cause hot flashes as well and you can develop them at anytime in life

Thyroid can sometimes be a cause but many more likely scenarios

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 04:29:20 PM »
Thanks Moik for replying! I really appreciate it.

This has been going on for years. I freeze for about 30 min then all of a sudden I'll burn. I don't drink and it happens in every season. I'm going to go to the doctor sometime soon and see what's up with it but I was just wondering if it has anything to do with thal. I also have pain on my left side inside my lower ribs everyday. In the morning it doesn't hurt but it does every evening... I am confused as to why. I'm pretty sure it's my spleen but why would it hurt only at night?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:01:01 PM »
Hi Mermaid,

Your doctor should be able to tell if your spleen is enlarged by a physical exam. This is not as uncommon in thal minor as many think. The pain may worsen at night after eating dinner, as there will be more pressure in the abdomen with a full stomach. The enlargement is caused by the destruction of red blood cells (hemolsysis) by the spleen. B complex and magnesium may have a positive effect on slowing this destruction. I would also suggest daily folic acid supplements, which are commonly recommended in thalassemia.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Moik

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »
Yeah when I was younger there were several times where they thought I had mono due to my enlarged spleen... B complex has definitely helped in that reguard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk