Do I have an iron deficiency as well?

• 15 Replies

Offline Prets

Re: Do I have an iron deficiency as well?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »
Hi Catherine,

I was never tested for malabsorption, but I was in terrible health and very low weight. Like eating food etc was of no consequence.

I am totally off iron now, and my hemoglobin is the same/better. So it makes sense to go without it. The iron itself causes my IBS which long term leads to malabsorption. I Also get IBS when I eat too much junk or if I stress a lot. Otherwise I'm doing fine.

I take some appetite pills (only quarter), and I have gained about 3-5 kilos.  :-) I'm still underweight but hopefully will be fine soon.

Exercise is what helps me most - my stamina is getting slightly better. If this solves my fatigue issues, then I will forget I have lower hemoglobin!  :-)

One more update on daily migraines - they're fatigue/ related, and caused by eye problems too. If I exercise my eye muscles daily, the migraine frequency reduces.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!  :-)

One thing that may help you daughter - try to have only mild foods for some time. It seems to gives the tummy time to settle and stop over reacting. Keep a diary of foods to see what makes her uneasy and try to eliminate it for some time.

I was off wheat/gluten/fats for 3 years - gluten/fat used to keep me very sick, same time I quit iron too. Now my body is adjusting and I can eat everything in small amounts. I still cant digest too much food, especially fats, I take enzyme pills with it.

All the best for your daughter. :-)

Hi Pretty

Have you been tested for Fructose Malabsorption this can be a cause of IBS and also cause problems with malabsorption of iron and other minerals.

I had my daughter tested for this last week and am now waiting on the results.

Regards

Catherine
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk