faint episodes / feeling of losing consciousness

• 8 Replies

Offline Dori

faint episodes / feeling of losing consciousness
« on: November 03, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »
Hello,
I always return to this forum and I try to look weekly. Well, I proble occured of which I have no idea how to describe it. First it bother me from time to time but not that hard. Now it does and I believe iti s not primarly caused due my lack of enough sleep this past days.
Yesterday while sitting an exam I started to get " faint episodes"  I had a hard time to just keep sitting and not drop off my chair. I think the observator notices I did not feel well, but what could I say?
It's like I lost consciousness. I don't know. My sight got a bit blurry and the world is not realy twisted but my eyes and face are falling. I just cant describe it and it bother me lots. I have not tell any about this. Not my parents,not my friends. I dont want to freak them out nor I want them too tell me it is nothing and it is lack of sleep. Which I believe is not.

I fighted that all exam long and at the end when I thought this is what I need to pass I handle it over and prepared myself on the way back home. I bought something salty. I cannot say of it really helped cause I already started to feel a bit better. Have had this kindof episode for a month now but never like this.

Does someone have any thoughts? Please know I won't become more happier when one say it's from anemia. That's what my friends say, but if it's that then it would be almost bother me, right?

A clueless Dore
ps my post transplant friend is doing better and has an engraftment about 80 procent.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: faint episodes / feeling of losing consciousness
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:14:29 PM »
Lack of sodium can cause that, so make sure you try to eat something salty if it happens again. If it helps, you know it is sodium.

Something I want to add from personal experience. Never drink distilled water. It has no minerals in it and it can cause a serious imbalance of minerals in the cells. I found this out the hard way and almost passed out while working in the sun.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Prets

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
Yes salt helps when I get this problem with low BP.

But i also have some pill that is actually used for vertigo, it also prevents me from fainting. Gives me some confidence when i have to go out.

Hope you feel better soon Dore.  :-)
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
TY. I still got it. Now definitely plays over-exhausting. I hope that's a word. This is actually the first weekend of this year of uni that I am home. If you wonder why I am so much away from home then that will lead us to another topic (escaping loniless). This year started at 1 september btw. I think I will look up vertigo.
Yesterday I also had only eat a small piece of bread. Exjade is absolutely bordering me lots. There's a patron I now see too. Every friday I get this problem. In other words.. I must break through the side effects one time very soon. But when? Exjade messed up with my stomach and gives me nausea all day long. And it gives me this other weird feeling I cannot prescribe. My ferritin is rising so it is working. I hope it won't take again 8 months before we see a drop. Today I start with 1125. Thursday I upgrade to 1250 but that was too much. It is not the rigt place to ask but how much mg/kg? 20? 30? 40?

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »
i  dont  know what type of thalssemia  you  have   but  i  have  fainted  a  coupler  times  it  was  due  to   exhaustion  and  low  iron  levels     i  have  alpha   thalassemia   minor   and  i  know  if  i  work  to  hard  and  become  exhausted  and  i  miss  a  coupler  iron  rich  meals    i  can  faint  or  become  unconcious     i  make  sure  i  self  regulate  my  iron  meals   and  i  dont  drink  coffee  too   adios  for  now  ps  when  my  iron  levels  are  low  it  feels  like  theres  no  blood  in  my  head  and  my  eyes  get  blury  and  i  become  dizzy  and  cant  stand  up  straight  but  soon  as  i  get  some  iron  rich  foods   im  fine  adios  for  now

Offline Danny.H

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:15:05 AM »
Hello Dori
During my childhood and teenager hood in Rio de Janeiro Brazil,I suffered a lot with fainting episodes. It was so bad that for months I avoided going out from the house by myself. The  episodes were always  cause by street and traffic smells ,or exhaustion and off course most in the hot summers .one time I was swimming ( dealing with a phobia afraid of deep pools) I had a fainting episode in the middle of a olimpics sized pool. It wasn't good at all. Everything that the doctors in Brazil could tell me was to hidrate and keep my minerals up as soon as I was feeling something wrong. This is what I keep doing since then. I'm just an alpha thal trait 3.7 homozygous. I found it out last May ,and since then lots of things from my pact started to make sense ..good to know I'm not alone on it . But like others already told you try to rest enought ,hidrate and minerals . I hope you feel better soon. About myself since I moved to a place with less humidity and not so hot I have not had fainting episodes.
Daniela

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »
Danny H,

You should be taking folic acid daily to help build red blood cells. Also, if at all possible, avoid air pollution, as the fumes may cause hemolysis, the sudden breakdown of red blood cells, causing a drop in hemoglobin level. It sounds very much like this has happened to you in the past.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Danny.H

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 01:50:25 AM »
Andy
Thanks for your input.
Yes looking back is so easy to understand what I was going through.
Nowadays I live in a smaller city but still kind polluted because the problems ,with fires at the summer.
It is so clear to me now ..My body has given me all the clues all this time and I couldn't see.
I always loved to be at the beach or close to it ( clean air) always feel great eating veggies and fruits instead cooked foods( clean diet).. I believe I will need to move again... :biggrin
Daniela

Offline bomboi

• SaiMikeLEDs
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 04:00:28 AM »
Hello All,

Just some input to this . I also experience fainting spells from time to time . At first i thought it was the exjade . The doctors think i have vasovagal syncope . The times i would have fainting spells is while having dinner and a drink or 2 . I'm not totally convinced that it is that and am trying to taper down the exjade and doing more desferal.  During this time im staying hydrated and trying to ingest more minerals.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk