Alpha Thal Minor questions

• 3 Replies
Alpha Thal Minor questions
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new in this forum and was unaware of myself being a minor thal until recently. My wife was about 15 weeks into her pregnancy when the Gynea detected her MCV to be in the low side of the normal range (MCV 83.5 fl, MCH 27.4pg, MCHC 32.8%) , as such I was ask to do a blood test. My test result confirm that I am thal minor as I was told by the nurse, currently both my wife and me are waiting for the DNA test results, my blood test result as shown below

Heamatological Indices

MCV 70.1 fl
MCH 22.1 pg
MCHC 31.5%

HB Electrophoresis

Normal HBA and HBA2 fraction
HBH inclusions : Positive (Occ. RBCs)
No abnormal heamogloblins detected
Comment : Findings are consistent with Alpha Thalassemia trait.

I had sift through the internet regarding bloodtest result and understand what these values mean but I cant find any explanation regarding this part of my test result (HBH inclusions : Positive (Occ. RBCs))

Could any kind soul out here enlighten me.

Thank You.

Gary (SG)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Alpha Thal Minor questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »
Hi Gary,

HBH inclusions : Positive (Occ. RBCs)  = occasional red blood cells are seen with HbH characteristics in the blood smear. These are not always visible in adults who carry alpha thalassemia, but their presence positively indicates the presence of alpha thal trait. Your blood counts corroborate this. No abnormal hemoglobin found means that these inclusion bodies are not prevalent. I would guess your DNA test will reveal you to be an alpha trait carrier, with two defective alpha genes (out of four total genes). This has little to no effect on your own health and its main significance is for genetic counseling concerns, both for yourself and any children.

Your wife's MCV is not low enough to suspect thalassemia on its own, but with a pregnancy involved, this pecaution must be taken. It may be mild anemia which often occurs during pregnancy. It is wise for her to be tested because not all thal traits (beta or alpha) are revealed by the CBC. With you carrying alpha, testing of your wife is routine but absolutely necessary, to verify that she is not also a carrier. Single gene alpha carrier status is almost impossible to identify except with a DNA test, so the test becomes very much needed.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »
Dear Andy,

It is true that I felt normal other than the occasional dizzy spell that occurs when I squat and stand up too quickly and pins and needles sensations, currently I am still active in sports and participate in long distance running. After reading through some of the Q&As in this forum, it had given me tremendous emotional support.

Thank you all and thank you Andy for your prompt reply.

Gary

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »
 THERE ARE SEVERAL KIND OF THALASSEMIA
1, ALPHA THALASSEMIA  ( a+ ) this is harmless carriers.
2. ALPHA thalessemia ( a o ). this is harmless for the individivual. it can sometines have important implications for there children

MY HUSBAND AND ME JUST TESTED 10DAYS AGO FOR ELECTROPORISES AND ALPHA THLASSEMIA ANALYSIS INCLUDING DNA. RESULT ; MY HUSBAND IS ALPHA THALSSEMIA (A O ), MINE IS ALPHA ( A+)

MY 3 YR OLD BOY IS DIAGNOSED ALPHA THAL HB H 4WEEKS AGO THATS WHY WE ARE TESTED..

IF ONE PARENT CARRIES ALPHA PLUS THAL AND THE OTHER CARRIES ALPHA ZERO THAL, THINGS CAN BE MORE COMPLEX. IN THIS CASE EACH CHILD HAS A 1 OUT OF 4 CHANCE OF INHERITING ALPHA PLUS THAL, A 1 OUT OF 4 CHANCE OF INHERITING ANY FORM OF ALPHA ZERO THAL., AND A 1 OUT 4 CHANCE OF NOT INHERITING ANY FORM OF ALPHA THAL. HOWEVER, THERE WILL BE ALSO BE A 1 OUT OF 4 CHANCE OF INHIRETING BOTH ALPHA PLUS AND ALPHA ZER THAL AND SUCH A PERSON WILL HAVE HB H DISEASE.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk