Vitamin D and Me

• 13 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Vitamin D and Me
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:35:16 AM »
In June of 2009, my vitamin D level was checked. It was 19. I had been supplementing with 2000 IU of vitamin D daily for a couple years. I had also been bothered by Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) during the winter for years, leaving me feeling like I was holding my breath all winter, trying not to think about the irrational desperation that was a constant feeling all winter long, while I waited for the sun to reappear in the spring. 2000 IU of vitamin D had not brought my level up to even minimum accepted levels. Because it was summer, I concentrated on getting more sun, which always helps, but is impossible to get at least six months a year here. Once autumn started, I began taking 5000 IU daily. For 3 weeks I took 10,000 IU 5 days per week and then went back to 5000 daily.
In June, 2010, I was tested again. My level had risen from 19 to 38 in one year after taking what was once considered a very high dose. My doctor was pleased and advised me that it should be kept in the 35-55 range, so I have no room to let it slip. He also advised me to take 5000 IU once per week during the summer, as I usually stop it altogether during the summer.

It isn't easy to raise your D level and almost impossible on low doses of D. Between one half and two thirds of the population that has been tested have tested low for D levels. Almost all thals tested are low. Do yourselves a favor and get tested if you haven't, and correct the level if needed. The difference it makes to your immune system and mental well being are quite noticeable. We are having one nasty winter and at no point have I felt that desperate feeling. I also find that the couple colds I've had the past two years have been mild and lasted only 3-4 days. If only it helped with my allergy to dust.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Vitamin D and Me
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
Andy, this is so true. I'm 32 year old Thal minor male. My blood work last month showed that my Vitamin D was only 13 which is seriously low. My doctor has advised me:
  - 50,000 IU three times a week for a month
  - After a month of such high dosage, 2000 IU a day.

Maybe this explains the occasional feet pain I've developed.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »
We have discovered that increasing vitamin D has been helpful to our son in many ways - his autoimmune hemolytic anemia has improved now that his vitamin D is high (his current vitamin D level is 93).  Even though the rituximab has worn off and he is no longer on prednisone he is on a 3 week transfusion schedule which has allowed us to keep his iron levels below 400.   He is happier and more focused.  We hope the benefits continue - I definitely think increasing vitamin D levels is life changing. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »
what is the ideal dosage for some one with a really low count and how often should it be checked?

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »
You should give a space of at least three month before checking again

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »
Dosage has to be based on the patient and the severity of the deficiency. Doses of 50,000 IU at once are becoming common when treating thals.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »
We have discovered that increasing vitamin D has been helpful to our son in many ways - his autoimmune hemolytic anemia has improved now that his vitamin D is high (his current vitamin D level is 93).  Even though the rituximab has worn off and he is no longer on prednisone he is on a 3 week transfusion schedule which has allowed us to keep his iron levels below 400.   He is happier and more focused.  We hope the benefits continue - I definitely think increasing vitamin D levels is life changing. 

Sharmin
Woah, 93!

Isn't that super high? How did you achieved this high level? :)

edit: Or is it some sort of different measurement levels? In normal range as per what we consider, where do 93 stand around? 30+ or so I assume?

Best,

-P.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:41:29 PM by Pratik »
Every child is special.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 11:54:14 PM »
This is very true it takes a long time to increae the levels. My son increased from 25 to 30 in six months. He is taking one alpha (0.25mcg) now and my target is reaching above the 70 level as recommended by one of the studies that thals must be in the high normal so that it can be recognized by the body
Manal

Offline AJP

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 07:13:03 AM »
Dear Thalpals, Andy Sir, 
                                         I have not been checked my D level till now. Although I am from tropical region and get sunshine but I think my D level may be low.  Because I feels depression and tiredness and my bones are not fragile but they are thin.

I want to take Vit D in normal dose for few months and then want to checked it. The test is also costly and frequent test after every 3 months is not possible for me.
So I want to check it after taking normal dose for few months.

Please...........Please advice about normal dose.
Stand up for your Right
Never give up your Fight

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 08:06:43 AM »
Vitamin D is to be done once in a year.

A baseline (before starting the treatment) Vitamin D level is advisable to check.
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 02:20:28 AM »
Abyaya Jyoty,

How much sunshine do you get? How much of your skin is exposed to the sun when you get sun?
Andy

Offline AJP

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 06:28:43 AM »
I can't tolerate sunshine in summer season. Sometimes it causes headache. I try to avoid strong sunshine directly in summer and wearing body covering clothes and use umbrella when I travel outside of home.
In Average I get approx 10 minutes in summer.

But in winter season I get more sunshine and it feels comfortable.  Maximum parts of my body get exposure to sun. I get it for 30 minutes in average.

I read in a book that the sunshine from morning to noon is good for health since morning rays contains more amount of Infrared ray and the sunshine in afternoon session is bad for health as it contains more Ultraviolet rays.  Don't know how much true it is. 
Stand up for your Right
Never give up your Fight

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »
Andy in relation to the dust allergy (am assuming dust mite allergy), in conjunction with thorough cleaning and vacuuming, I have been using a dehumidifier over the past year (at about 50%) and this has reduced my house dust mite population and reduced the mould in my home. I have a portable one that I can move from room to room. I have seen some improvement in my dust mite allergy condition. 

Dehumidifiers are not a treatment for house dust mites but they reduce the humidity levels that dust mites need to survive and reproduce. 

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 11:10:00 AM »
I was superbly low on Vitamin D3 - level 25 on a scale range of 75 - 250 nmol/L. No wonder I felt so tired and sleepy all the time, so much so that I was afraid of driving around on highways without taking consuming huge amounts of strong coffee  :'(

After my doc said my vitamin D level is the lowest she had seen so far in her career, advised me to take 2000 IU per day. Within two days I started feeling so much better, now my D3 level is around 76 nmol/L just above the threshold. What you people here say, should I boost the dosage higher to test if I can feel even better. I still have tiredness and aches probably from the thal minor trait.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk