Beta Thalassemia Minor

• 6 Replies

Offline Novita

Beta Thalassemia Minor
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:04:23 AM »
Hi all,

I feel so blessed with this site. I'm 26 and from Indonesia, I know that I have Beta Thalassemia Minor since May 2010, i wonder if thlas can be known since we are a baby but why in my case I knew it when i was 25? when i read at other site it shows that when we were baby didn't show it then it won't be a problem in the future, is that right?

Many sites shows that this kind of thals isn't need threat. Always mentions that thals minor only have mild anemia but what i'm having is more than that. My body easily get tired and sometimes the pain in my head is unbearables, when i'm tired always cough n can't breath normally.

What I want to ask is, do I need to take monthly blood test to show my hb? How to make my body stronger? I need a lot of energy to do my works and sometimes when i think too much the pain is getting worse.
I want to live normaly, as you know in Indonesia the weather right now isn't good and that's affect my body as well. Is there any kind of possiblity that my head won't feel the headache or dizzyness again without taking the medicine?

For me this site is the best site that really concerns about thalassemia
Thank you so much for the information
Regards,

Novita
Be Strong... Be Positive... Trust on God n Everything will be Alrite

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Beta Thalassemia Minor
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:51:30 AM »
Hi Novita,

Welcome on the forum,i am a thal minor too and i was diagnosed when i was 24,my mother spent a big part of her life not knowing she has thal minor,so its normal and it happens to many people.

Do you know what your hb is currently? You should take folic acid and a few other supplements like B Complex,and Vitamin D plays a great role in your tiredness too,Vitamin D deficiency can effect you in so many ways,so you should get it tested.

And last but not least,a little exercise also helps,a brisk walk in the morning would make your day a lot less tiresome.

Hope this helps,

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Novita

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:56:11 AM »
Thank you for your reply, your reply helps alot.

Usually it about 10.
If i take a multivitamin is that okay? if i regurally drink Pocari sweat is that okay also?
Regards,

Novita
Be Strong... Be Positive... Trust on God n Everything will be Alrite

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »
Novita,

Its ok to take a multivitamin,but these multivitamin usually contain iron,and thal minors should not take iron unless they are iron deficient,so be careful about that,i don't know much about Pocari Sweat,from what wikipedia tells me,i couldn't decide if its good or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocari_Sweat

Pocari Sweat (ポカリスエット Pokari Suetto?) is a popular Japanese soft drink and sports drink, manufactured by Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. It was launched in 1980 and is now also available in East Asia, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East.
Pocari Sweat is a mild-tasting, relatively light, non-carbonated sweet beverage and is advertised as an "ion supply drink." It has a mild grapefruit flavor with little aftertaste. Ingredients listed are water, sugar, citric acid, sodium citrate, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium lactate, magnesium carbonate and flavoring.[1] It is sold in aluminium cans and plastic bottles and as a powder for mixing with water.

Zaini.

^*^Xaini^*^

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »
Hello my name is Sonia
I as well found out I had Thala Minor as an adult, at my childs 1 year blood work result I was informed she had and that I should get tested for it to see if I had it and I have always known that I had Anemia but Dr. never told my mother it was Thala Minor at least that is what my mother says... I also live with Migraine that sometimes dont let me do everyday normal stuff, I live with patches of tiredness, I feel cold, and have pale skin, I feel week and dont deal with stress at all well! I get patches of energy where I feel like doing everything I cant on my slow days, and when I am in my low energy day I every feel as if I suffer of depression because on those days I just dont want to get out of bed because I feel exhausted... You are not alone, and now I know I am not alone either!
  :bighug

Soni

Offline Prets

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
I also live with the constant pain/headaches, fatigue, dizziness, etc,  and a lot of my problems are worse with physical exertion.

Its comforting to see others who understand.

:-)
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline nat

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:40:57 AM »
Hi Novita/Sonia,

How's your condition now? Hope it's getting better...

I just knew that thal minor symptoms are like anemia/thal (becoz that's what I feel when my Hb level is very low).
My brother who's a minor behave like a non-thal kids...he never feels dizzy/tired, he's not pale, n kinda buff (coz of football, I guess).
I think Zaini's right...he eats A LOT, 2-3 times average portion, sometimes takes my vitamins (folic acid/E/D/calc), and gets vaccinations regularly (which I think helpful in Indo's weather). His Hb level is at 13-14.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk