Blood transfusion

• 12 Replies

Offline Joe_H

Blood transfusion
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »
Hi every one ,

how are you doing ? I hope u doing great

I have an important question , Im in 22 years old now and I have thal major and u know I have to do blood transfusion every two weeks my HB is between 9 and 10 ,

my question is if I make my HB 14 by add more blood in on week did I will save more days to add blood again ?

I need to do that coz  I wanna go on a trip will last for 40 days and may be I cant add blood in this 40 day , so what u think ?

Info

wight 60 KG

age 22

thal major

regards

Joe

Offline Alia

Re: Blood transfusion
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 09:57:15 PM »
HI Joe

I think it will work to take a bigger unit of blood but then again it depends on your body.
Alia

Offline adeel

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:40:13 AM »
Hi joe
I don't know much about that I hope andy will give u a better answer actually I am a little curious about one thing that how would u maintain your weight because in my knowledge thal people have a problem of weight gaining
Best regards
Adeel

Offline Joe_H

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »
Alia , thanx I think that will work too .

Adel , thank u for ur replay I'm waiting Andy too

about my wight it's not a big deal just eat well and every thing will be fine and take some vits and every thing will be fine so don't worry about the wight just eat well my friend

regards   

Offline maha

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »
Hi joe
How much ml of blood do you receive each time ? The usual volume transfused is 15ml/kg and in case of a low hb it could be increased to 20ml/kg . That means you should receive between 900cc-1200cc. If you are getting less than this amount then you can go ahead and add more blood and this would probably give you two more weeks extra.But if you are getting the required amount then no more can be added as it can put unnecessary pressure on the heart. Actually if more blood could postpone the transfusion then everyone would be doing this. Transfused blood has an average life cycle of 30 days, so if you transfuse more blood you will have a higher hb for a few days but the drop in hb would be faster.

maha

Offline Joe_H

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »
Hi maha ,

thank u for ur reply in fact I'm adding just 400 ml at each time (every tow weeks) and I've understand from ur post that I can have 1000 ml and that will give me two more weeks ?

I mean that will give me four weeks but what about the blood life cycle ?

thank you

regards

Offline maha

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »
Hi joe
You seem to be getting one unit every 2 weeks which is the best at your age, 2 units should last 4 weeks (28 days)( if the blood is fresh) but definitely not 40 days. Are transfusion facilities not available where you propose to travel?

maha

Offline Joe_H

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 05:05:21 PM »
hi again Maha

you can say that transfusion facilities not available where I'm suppose to go , so there is no way to delay the transfusion when I come home ?

I hope there is another way , and what the risk if I didnt add blood before the time that I must do ?

thanx again for helping me

regards

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »
Hi Joe,

This is an issue that I would hope people with experience would comment on, as many thals do travel and should have some experience with how long they can stretch the transfusion interval. I have never had a transfusion and would really appreciate it if members with experience would respond to this type of topic. Here, I can barely type due to a repetitive motion injury, but I get beckoned to answer something that should be answered by Joe's fellow adult thals. That just ain't right, people. This group needs more involvement from thals themselves and not just their parents.

Anyway, I messaged Smurfette because I know she has taken extra blood before a trip. She had this to say. I don't know if any of this is even available in Iraq, but here goes.

Well it really depends on were that person is from and how many units he has every 2 weeks.
Here in sydney we can go on a machine thats called the cell separator and we get transfused according to your weight and height, Also with that machine what happens is that you get a larger amount of blood transfused and can last longer, but in normal transfusion regime I usually have 3 units every four weeks and when I did go overseas the last time, I went a day or 2 earlier before departure and they gave me extra 2 units and that lasted me probably 5-6 weeks, but I also go to the nearest thal hospital there is and get a x-match done to see what my Hb levels are.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »
I would just usually adjust my transfusion schedule, when I was on 4 weekly transfusions I would have either added an extra transfusion in just before I go away or take extra units of blood.  I now have blood every 2-3 weeks and get 2 or 3 bags, and at such times as Christmas or holidays I would either go a week early or a the month before a week later for blood.  I know that one unit of blood will take me approximately a point higher (eg. from 9- 10 hb) and 1 unit will last around a week (or 4 units will last 4 weeks).  I guess everyones different but this formula works for me and allows me to make holiday plans without worrying about needing blood whilst away. 
Joe, I think you basically needs to look at how much blood is taken now and how long it lasts and simply add extra blood.  It sounds like doubling the blood will make you last around 4 weeks.  Just make sure the transfusion is within a few days of leaving and get a hb check within a few days after arriving home.
I personally have never gone longer than 4 or 5 weeks in between blood transfusions so I'm not sure if 40 days is possible.  The only thing I think you have as an advantage is that you seem to only need 400ml of blood to last 2 weeks, therefore it might be possible to take 3 or 4 bags before you leave.  I would definately refer you back to your doctor for advice because I really can't see how you would manage to last 40 days without blood, I certainly couldn't last longer than 5 or 6 weeks without my hb dropping into the 6's and lower.  This also wouldn't make your travels very enjoyable or safe.  Sorry I couldn't help anymore x

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 12:06:05 AM »
For little A we sometimes get extra blood before leaving on a trip.  Because you can't give large volumes on the same day - he usually gets a normal transfusion one day and then gets an extra bag the next day.  I hope this helps. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 05:35:15 PM »
hi joe.
i go for transfusions every 4 weeks. so we have never gone on a trip for more than 25 days so i am unable to advice u. like the others hav told u i also take a transfusion 2 days bfor leaving on a trip and  come back in maximum 25 days and go for a hb the v next day.
even then i take my medical records with me to be on the safe side...........
sorry i couldnt help u much.

Offline Joe_H

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »
Hi Joe,

This is an issue that I would hope people with experience would comment on, as many thals do travel and should have some experience with how long they can stretch the transfusion interval. I have never had a transfusion and would really appreciate it if members with experience would respond to this type of topic. Here, I can barely type due to a repetitive motion injury, but I get beckoned to answer something that should be answered by Joe's fellow adult thals. That just ain't right, people. This group needs more involvement from thals themselves and not just their parents.

Anyway, I messaged Smurfette because I know she has taken extra blood before a trip. She had this to say. I don't know if any of this is even available in Iraq, but here goes.

Dear Andy Im very thankful for your help and about this u r right it's not available in Iraq, I think I can't stand for six week without blood so I will search for a transfusion in the place that I'm planing to go , and you are right we need more advice of ppl have thal and have experience in it not just there parents ,

thank u again and I will keep in touch with u

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk