Interesting Discussion on Facebook about "France sees first 'saviour sibling'"

• 4 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
I posted an article on our Facebook counterpart this week about an AFP story, "France sees first 'saviour sibling'."
An interesting discussion involving Dr Arthur Bank and myself has ensued. The article is reprinted below. The discussion can be followed at http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=124764174263936&id=78504283219
Any member of thalpal on Facebook is free to join in the discussion.

PARIS (AFP) – Doctors in France on Monday announced the country's first birth of a "saviour sibling," selected at the embryonic stage to be a close genetic match to save a brother or sister suffering from a fatal inherited disorder.

The baby was born at the Antoine Beclere Hospital in Clamart, in the suburbs of Paris, said doctors Rene Frydman and Arnold Munnich.

The child, born to parents of Turkish origin and named Umut-Talha (Turkish for "our hope"), was conceived through in-vitro fertilisation and was born on January 26 with a weight of 3.65 kilos (8.03 pounds), they said.

"He is in good health," Frydman told AFP.

The child's embryo was genetically selected to ensure he did not carry the gene for beta thalassemia, from which his siblings suffer, but was also a close enough match to provide treatment cells from umbilical cord blood, a rich source of stem cells.

Beta thalassemia produces an abnormal form of haemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells which carries oxygen around the body. It causes destruction of red blood cells, which in turn leads to anaemia.

The world's first "saviour sibling" was Adam Nash, born in the United States in 2000.

The issue has been hedged with moral concerns about so-called designer babies and the morality of conceiving life to help a child with a genetic disorder.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Andy,

I read Dr Bank's and your comments.  It is very enlightening.  I have read so many judgmental views over the years that it is quite refreshing to read these comments. 

Thanks again for having the courage to speak up for us.  No one has a right to condemn the heart breaking choices what we make for our children and in their best interest.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Lisa and I agreed that these issues are the business of those involved and no one else. I understand that everyone has a right to their view, but in this group, we decided that we would stand on the side of those making the decisions about their bodies. We are not here to judge others. We are here to provide help and support. I have strong feelings about the ethics of these issues of using embryos and also abortion, and I respect the feelings of those who think differently. I will not argue with someone when they tell me they have a moral or ethical issue about this in their own life, and I won't try to sway them to my point of view, but at the same time, I hope we can all accept that we have different views on issues and topics and that we can stay focused on helping where help is needed and requested. Sometimes not commenting is really the best choice.

As I mentioned in my reply on Facebook, some years ago this group was torn by the abortion issue. The one thing that I was most happy about after the dust settled was that those who stayed really did get it and took away an understanding that this group is about support, and tolerance and understanding are keys if this group is to fulfill its mission.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Lisa and I agreed that these issues are the business of those involved and no one else   

Couldn't agree more,what parents go through with thal majors,and how hard it is to make a decision that you can't have any more kids,i doubt that anyone can understand that unless they are in the same boat,I am so happy for the child who'll be saved by his/her brother,and i applaud his parents for going through with this.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline joyce

• with my baby jovy..
Andy,
Im planning to use the cordblood/stemcell method, how effective it would be and must it (Cordblood/stemcell) be match with his bother?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk