Hb levels

• 6 Replies
Hb levels
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:16:47 AM »
Hey guys,

So my most recent blood test said that I have hemoglobin levels of 09.9g/dL. What does that mean?

What number is normal for someone with Beta Thalassemia? how can i boost this number up as I know for a woman of my age 12-15.5 is normal.

Thanks!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Hb levels
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »
Hi and welcome to the group,

Thal minors vary in hemoglobin level. Some have normal level above 11, but many have low hemoglobin levels in the 9-11 range. Boosting it is not easy and not always possible, but there are things you can do that will help and also will help your overall health. Supplements like vitamin E, B complex, folic acid and magnesium can help, but there is little that can be done to raise the Hb level. Some people benefit from supplements like wheatgrass and resveratrol. I would suggest reading more in the thal minor section of the boards and also the Diet, Nutrition and Supplements section.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:18:50 AM »
Thank you Andy.

Can I just go into a pharmacy and get Folic acid - just like that? I have been reading that it is good to take. But can you overdo folic acid? I currently live in a non english speaking country, so unfortunately I can't ask a doctor about it, so if I just "prescribe" it to myself and take it for a year do you think its dangerous? I eat a well balanced diet..what other foods have folic acid?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 12:28:01 AM »
Folic acid is a B vitamin that is essential for building red blood cells. I doubt you will need a prescription. Can you buy vitamins over the counter without a prescription? If so, you should be able to get folic acid easily. It is very common because it is always recommended for pregnant women and any woman trying to conceive because deficiency can cause birth defects.  1-2 mg daily is the usual dose for minors. Many thal majors take 5 mg daily with no issues. Since it is a B vitamin, it is water soluble so it is very hard to take too much.
Andy

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:34:50 AM »
I think my current mulit vit has folic acid,probably not as high as 1mg..should I go out and buy a folic acid supplement? My muliti vit is a high potency with all B vits. Also is wheatgrass the same as Spiralina?
Thanks

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:46:41 AM »
They are not the same product, but we've been hearing from more minors trying spirulina so it might be worth trying if you have access to it.
Andy

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
In terms of Folic acid - You can buy that at the drug store - I personally would take 1 mg x 2 or so... I take 5 mg - but I am a relavitvly asymptomatic hbH (Alpha thal intermedia).

Also, B 12 - not sure on the amount.

BUT you cannot OD on either of those - any extra gets expelled through urine.

Be careful with the Multi-vitamins - a lot have iron in them and you want to STAYYYYYYYYY AWAY from that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk