Thalassemia minor and children

• 3 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Thalassemia minor and children
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:37:32 AM »
Although neither of my children have thal minor - (I have a major and a non thal) - I have two nephews who have thal minor. 

One of my nephews - currently 7 1/2 years of age is experiencing fatigue and frequent headaches.  He becomes easily tired after engaging in activities that would not tire his younger, non thal brother. 

Does anyone else have young children who have experienced such symptoms?

I have recommended an iron free multi and greens.  I also suggested to slowly add folic acid, resveretrol, wheat grass and omega supplementation.  I think that aloe vera may be helpful too - but I felt that I would let her add only one supplement at a time.  Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

Thank you,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline maha

Re: Thalassemia minor and children
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:39:42 AM »
Hi Sharmin
Whenever young children complain of headaches the first thing that comes to mind is vision. If this has been ruled out then it is better to get his hb checked. As a child I always responded well to B-complex  It really helps to combat fatigue.

maha

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:49:29 AM »
Maha,

Thank you so much, I will mention that to my sis in law.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Prets

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »
I've had headaches all my life, including when I was a child. Vision is an issue when the eye muscles get weak (they call it poor convergence),   apart from that i suffered physical stress headaches/migraines almost daily. Even bright lights, loud noises etc makes it worse. It was not so severe as a child but it got worse later.

When a child or underweight person is tired, the body can tense up, if the neck/back muscles spasm or get stiff, it can trigger daily headches for no other reason.  I noticed that when i take complete rest for few days, I dont get headaches at all.

Anemia also causes me headaches if its very low. I cant get a clear understanding of reports, But with iron supplements my hgb maintains at 9 to 10, and without iron, i have even gone as low as 8.3.

Sometimes even daily headaches can become a 'habit' for the body. What that means is that the body gets used to tensing up - in that case, relaxation, exercise, stretching, eye exercises, etc can all help.
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk