thalassemia minor and seizure

• 7 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
thalassemia minor and seizure
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »
My brother is thalassemia minor - he is 34 years old. Today out of the blue he experience a seizure while out shopping.  He has never experienced any such thing before.  His blood sugar is normal, has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thank you,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: thalassemia minor and seizure
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:06:28 PM »
Sharmin,

We have a thread about seizures at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,1750.msg14546.html#msg14546
I can't say there is any definite connection, as it may just be coincidental when thals have seizures. However, I would definitely look at the dehydration possibility because we often forget to hydrate while we are out.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »
Thanks Andy,

We're at the hospital.  You're right about what likely happened.
His CAT scan is normal, but he was at a family gathering last nigh after
A stressful week at work.  He was served some strong drinks and he
Had more than his comfort level.  This morning whlie doing errands for
His children he collapsed and had a seizure.  The back of his head is
Badly bruised.  I wonder if the seizure was caused by the fall and head
Injury - or if he fell because of the seizure.  He has no such history, his
Hg is around 120.  His phosphate levels were found to be low. 

His children are 3 years old and 6 months old.  I pray that he is ok and
That this will not re occur. 

Thank you so much for your help,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:53:44 PM »
Alcohol is very dehydrating, so it is a likely cause of the collapse. One of the bad aspects about dehydration is that it clouds the mind and one does not always quickly realize why the mind seems to be in a daze. I've had my share of this and it's like a light coming on when I finally realize why I feel so vague. It doesn't take long to re-hydrate once you become aware that it's happening. Some salty food with the water can also help. And never drink distilled water. It will basically leach minerals from the cells, causing an imbalance.

We all need to find ways to reduce the stress in our lives and find ways to get away from work for awhile. My elbow has been forcing the issue for me. I find myself leaving the computer for awhile because my elbow is once again on fire after doing several posts. We all need to take care of our own needs because when we don't, we end up causing ourselves problems, leaving us of little help to others in our lives.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 02:05:39 AM »
You are so right Andy.  My brother was told the same thing - he has a high stress job, he is working on his MBA and he has two young children.  This morning he wanted to make some easter surprises for all of the kids - he went to the store to buy paint brushes - and he collapsed there.... He is home safe now.  The doctors told him to take it easy and to reduce his stress.  He also needs to work on staying hydrated.  Thank you so much for all of the tips - I think that we can all use them.  I recently began taking alkalyzing salts and I feel much more energetic. 

I hope that you will take time to recuperate as well.  I will be done my last exam this coming Thursday, after that I will be able to help out a lot more around here.  Make sure you get some rest, you have been through a lot recently.  Your family has suffered such a terrible loss and your elbow issue has been ongoing for quite some time.  I hope that your son's back is feeling better after his accident. 

Thank you once again,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Cari

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:59:34 AM »
So sorry to hear about your brother sharmin...im glad he is back home now. I am sure it was a scary day for your family and u all must be drained. Make sure u take care of yourself too in these next few weeks...im sure with all that u have going on with finals and daily activities already this must be overwhelming.  Lots of love  :bighug

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:28:24 AM »
Thank you so much my friend, it was a really long day.  I'm just so glad everything is ok. 

I hope you are well.  Pls give me love to Ari  :hugfriend :hugfriend

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:15:12 AM »
Sharmin,

I hope your brother is well now,sending my wishes your way  :hugfriend .

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk