blood donor has the oportunity to giv the most precious gift of all gift of life

• 11 Replies

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
For Complete Article please visti : http://www.princetonhcs.org/default.aspx?p=7846

Blood Donor Program
A blood donor has the opportunity to give the most precious gift of all – the gift of life.

The day-to-day need for blood never ends, and blood donations are always welcome. The process of donating blood is relatively quick and involves little discomfort. The blood we collect is used to help save the lives of those who have lost blood in an accident or emergency or those who need blood for surgical and nonsurgical treatments.

Who Can Give Blood?
Generally, anyone who is in good health, between the ages of 17 and 70 and weighs at least 110 pounds may donate 16 ounces (a pint) of blood every 56 days up to six times a year. Those 71 and older may donate blood, but they must have a doctor’s note saying it is safe for them to do so. Individuals taking medications such as aspirin, diet pills, birth control pills and blood pressure pills usually are eligible to donate blood. There are some restrictions as to when otherwise healthy individuals are not eligible to donate. Please call for specific advice or questions regarding your eligibility to donate blood.

There Are No Health Risks:
You cannot get AIDS or any other disease from donating blood. The skin in the area from which blood is to be drawn is carefully cleansed with antiseptics. Needles are sterile, used once and then carefully discarded.

Eat Before Donating :
You should eat a good meal within four hours of donating blood and drink plenty of fluids.

It Doesn’t Take Long to Donate :
The entire process takes about 45 minutes; however, the actual blood donation takes only about 10 minutes.
Prospective donors are asked to register by presenting a signature ID and completing a medical history questionnaire. Staff then performs a screening interview and brief physical examination. This includes checking your blood pressure, pulse and temperature. We also take a drop of blood from your fingertip to check your iron level. If everything is fine, you may then donate blood.

After the Donation :
You will be asked to stay in the refreshment area for at least 10 minutes following your donation. At that time you should start replenishing your fluids by having a soft drink. You can also enjoy a snack and relax. Please refrain from strenuous exercise and heavy lifting for the rest of the day. Please also refrain from smoking for at least 30 minutes.

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

I've never donated blood but would like to. Can Thal Minor donate blood and can that be used towards someone who needs it ?

Thanks.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
In the US, thal minors can donate as long as their hematocrit is not below 38. The Red Cross FAQ has some info on donating.
http://www.redcrosslv.org/blood/faq.html
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
My dad is Thal minor (of course) and he do donates blood every 3-4 months. His Hb levels stay around 12-12.5 so its fine.

Anything around 12 should be fine.
Every child is special.

Offline joyce

• with my baby jovy..
Ya, Thalasemia carrier also can donate.
I did donate 2x so far.
 :wink

My high school held a blood drive on Feb. 8, and my state allows 16 year olds to donate with parental consent. I turned 16 two weeks ago. During the necessary tests, I had told the nurse screening me that I was anxious because I have alpha thalassmia minor and it might inhibit my ability to donate (hemoglobin level wise). She told me to wait and called who I presume is a professional. She asked about thalassmia and proceeded to tell me the good and bad news. Good news: I am completely healthy with a hemoglobin level of 12.8 and would be able donate. Bad News: Because of thalassmia and their current technology, my whole blood cannot be filtered for red blood cells, plasma, and platelets. She stated that since my blood cannot be separated it would just be disposed of. She said did not want my blood to be wasted and that I cannot donate.

And yes, I did indeed tell the nurse I researched a little online and that I would be able to donate as long as I was not anemic at the time. The nurse still said the same thing: my blood would just be wasted because they would not have the ability to separate for the necessary components. Completely overcome with shock, I reluctantly returned to class.

Now, that brings up the question, why was there no information on this? I looked up practically everything on this. Most if not everyone of them stated that blood donation is possible as long as you are not anemic. I was deferred from donating blood even though I was not anemic?

The closest thing that I saw briefly mentioned in one of the articles was that thalassmia may slightly change the shape of red blood cells. This could be the reason why it is so difficult to separate. However, this is all I could think of.

What are your opinions on this?

Offline Andy Battaglia

SweepClouds,

I have never heard that before and am quite certain it is incorrect. Thal minors with Hb levels above 12.5 give blood regularly. In addition to that, alpha thal carriers most often wouldn't even know they are carriers and would give blood without any issue.
Andy

Offline Lokkhi maa

Hello Andy,

If a person without thalassemia need transfusion for any emergency and he got blood from any carrier or trait person then will he affected?If a thalassemia patient take transfusion from a carrier then the transfusion demand will be fulfill or not?

Before 1 yr ago  we met one of carrier person whose baby was thalassemia,need transfusion and he said he frequently donate his baby.Is it right?
He also interested to donate my baby but I ignore and still my husband who has e trait never donate my baby though the blood group same.
Lokkhi Maa

Offline Andy Battaglia

It depends on the Hb of the carrier. If the Hb is high enough to be allowed to donate, then the blood will be fine for transfusions. In the US, Hb must be >12.5 to donate blood.
Andy

Offline Lokkhi maa

Thanks Andy.

Its great..

[bgcolor=#9CFF00]If a person without thalassemia need transfusion for any emergency and he got blood from any carrier or trait person then will he affected?[/bgcolor]
Lokkhi Maa

Offline Andy Battaglia

No. Thalassemia in inherited and can't be passed to someone through transfusion.
Andy

Offline Lokkhi maa

Thanks Andy..
Lokkhi Maa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk