• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    July 25, 2014, 08:40:04 AM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

If you are interested in visiting Lisa's previous (MSN) forum, it will still be available for viewing at: http://thalpal1.multiply.com/ /ThalassemiaPatientsandFriends

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andy@thalpal.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal © A. Battaglia 2013

48625 Posts in 5071 Topics by 4550 Members
Latest Member: Kamil

Forum Tip: 
You can change your member name in your profile, under "Account Related Settings," so you don't have to re-register to change it.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thalassemia Minor and Folic Acid Supplement  (Read 5862 times)
mcyu1

« on: May 16, 2011, 03:43:01 PM »

Hi,  it was a pleasure reading this informative forum. I hope this forum continue to  selflessly give help and support to all thal patients who have accessed this forum.

I was recently diagnosed with a Beta Thalassemia Minor (Phenotype) with the following blood test results:  

MCV 57,
MCH 19,
MCHC 33;
Hemoglobin Electrophoresis Hb A 97.5%, Hb A2 2.5%.

Other Blood Test Results that might be helpful:  

Ferritin 324 ng/ml (above normal),
Iron 68 ug/dl (normal),
Iron Binding Capacity 354 ug/dl (normal),
Hemoglobin 14.2 g/dl (normal),
Red Blood Cell 7.54 mil/mm3 (above normal), and
Hematocrit 43.3% (normal).

My doctor prescribed a 1600mcg of folic acid daily.  Given my figures above, is it really necessary?  Or do you recommend me to take further blood tests on  B12 and Folic Acid to determine whether I need a folic acid supplement?

What other supplements should i take? Vitamin D? Vitamin E?

Thank you very much. Hope to hear from  you soon.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:10:26 PM by mcyu1 » Logged
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:00:58 PM »

Folic acid is a basic building block of red blood cells. It is prescribed for thals as a way to help optimize healthy red blood cell production. I recommend it for all thals. I also recommend a B complex, natural vitamin E and vitamin D if you do not get daily exposure to sunshine. If fatigue is an issue, get your vitamin D level checked. My own doctor wants a minimum of 35 as the D level, which is higher than the current offical recommendations. My own experience tells me my doctor is right about the level.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: